w00t!!!

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Another set of successful observing sessions tonight!

I popped out right at dusk to view the moon. Looking along the terminator was very interesting.

Then I came out a while later and looked at M42 again. I need to find another faint fuzzy to look at. I'll have to find a galaxy that isn't too hard to find.

Then I looked at Saturn some. I think I saw 3 moons, but I'm not sure.

Then I looked at Mars. I am kind of disappointed looking at Mars, though. I was hoping to see it more close up. My current eyepieces ( 25mm and 10mm ) don't seem to get the job done. It's still a tiny orange ball, that I can't make out any detail on.

Then I set my alarm for 12:00 AM, so I could finally take a look at Jupiter. I had not had a chance to observe it yet. I'm glad that I did, because it was spectacular! Still a little on the small side in the eyepiece, but I could make out some bands on it. I also think I saw 4 moons too, but I'm not sure. Is there anywhere that shows me what I'm supposed to see on a certain night at a certain time? That would be cool.

I haven't had a chance to purchase any of the suggested items, but I really need a telrad! The finder scope that came with my Orion is not too good. I can't even get it to center on what's in the eyepiece of the scope. I also need a stool to sit on. Kneeling on the ground gets really old really fast, especially on the concrete sidewalk!!

w00t!!
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

rallen911 wrote:Then I set my alarm for 12:00 AM, so I could finally take a look at Jupiter. I had not had a chance to observe it yet. I'm glad that I did, because it was spectacular! Still a little on the small side in the eyepiece, but I could make out some bands on it. I also think I saw 4 moons too, but I'm not sure. Is there anywhere that shows me what I'm supposed to see on a certain night at a certain time? That would be cool.
w00t!!
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/ob ... piter.html#
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks Buzzygirl!

I also found that taking the time to install Starry Night was worth it. I was able to verify that I did see the moons. Although, I was up way too late ( 2:00 AM ) for my own good.

Thanks again,
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!