Should I be able to see...

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

rallen911

Should I be able to see...

Post by rallen911 »

Tonight I spent about an hour and a half looking for M51 ( Whirlpool Galaxy ). I found the last star in the handle of the big dipper pretty easily, but I couldn't seem to find anything.

I am having a hard time using my finder scope that came with my XT8. For one, I can't seem to be able to adjust it to a point where it will stay in the bracket and be centered on what's in the eyepiece. I am thinking about getting something else either a telrad or Orion has their EZ Finder™ II. Does anyone have any experience with the EZ Finder? I know lots of people use the Telrad, and have good luck with it. They are both about the same price, so I just wanted to ask the question.

Also another question: Has anyone had trouble with the objective cover on their XT8? Mine seems really tight, and I have to give it a pretty good whack to get it in the hole. It's been like this since I got it. I also noticed tonight, that paint chips have been coming off and are now all over my primary mirror!!! :x I doubt this can be a good thing. I have seen differing opinions on whether someone should clean their primary mirror much, so I am kind of at a loss of what to do. I contacted Orion, so I hope they will be able to do something for me.

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can offer.
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!
Chris White

Post by Chris White »

I am afraid I don't have any experience with the quickfinder but, I love my telrad.

I placed reticle's at half, two, and four degrees representing the telrad finders reticle's on a star chart(although, just note the 2 degrees over to 24 Cvn from Alkaid, and 2 degrees from 24 Cvn to M51);

http://www.jakeblaster.com/temp/m51telrad.pdf

(I have horrid color's the M51 text is in yellow, need to change it)

M101 is cool, bright, and big as well.
---------
Chris White
Starforce2

Re: Should I be able to see...

Post by Starforce2 »

rallen911 wrote: Mine seems really tight, and I have to give it a pretty good whack to get it in the hole. It's been like this since I got it.
That sounds like a personal problem. :lol:

My XT10 cover is so loose when it's cold it just falls right off if the scope is laying on it's side in the truck. Be lucky yours is tight.

The galaxy you're refering to is very subtle under dark skys in a 10" let alone an 8. As for the sight, there's no rule that say it needs to be centered on the object with the crosshairs. If you know the crosshairs are a tad low, compensate. Mine never centers either I'd it'd need to be redone all the time too. Find a bright star, get it in your eyepeice and then see where it is in your sight, and presto. Also, did u put that rubber ring thingy around it in the bracket?
Chris White

Post by Chris White »

I actually removed my finder on my cheapo 5" and just use my telrad to find stuff (well I cheat and use an autostar most of the time). I was really frustrated with my finder but, it's a personal preference thing, many people (some) strictly want to use a finder, some use both, others are like me (but, I had a cheap useless finder so I certainly am not recommending people remove thier finders and go with telrads it was just a useless plastic thing that got in the way of things).
---------
Chris White
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

I dunno what they put on the 8 but the 10 is almost like a small telescope sitting there. Really helps to find stuf easily thats just beyond eye range.
Mike Fischer

Post by Mike Fischer »

The first time I saw M51 through our XT8 was after taking it to Onan. Our skies in Savage are fine for many things, but usually not good enough for that object. I know I wouldn't have been able to find it on a near-full-moon night like last night.

I believe the XT8 and 10 have the same 9x50 scope. I use both the finder and a Telrad. I mounted the Telrad to the right side of the finder scope. It makes a good progression: Telrad to get in the vicinity, finder to hone in futher, finally, eyepiece. The 9x50 also provides nice views of objects like the Pleiades.

I do need to align the finder every time I use it. It just gets bumped around enough simply from carrying. I've never had to realign during a viewing session unless I've gotten really clumsy and bumped it.

I chose the Telrad because of the reticle opposed to just a red dot.

Our objective cover goes on snug, but not to the point of paint chips! (We don't need to "whack" it.) It has loosened up as time has gone on and snaps in place. I do prefer it snug so it doesn't shake loose on transport.

I wouldn't worry too much about a little paint chips or dust on the mirror. It should have plenty of light catching capability yet.

Just my 2-cents...
Bill Bynum

Post by Bill Bynum »

The 30mm finders that are standard equipment on the XT8 are not great. On the other hand, their 50mm RACI finders are very nice.

If your finder is one spring and two knobs style, double check that the little rubber ring that holds the tube is seated properly. If that doesn't do the trick, shim the base of the finder with paper, tape, cut up aluminum can, etc.

I have used both dot-style finders like EZ-finder and other Daisy gunsight clones and bull's eye finders like the Rigel and the Telrad. The bull's eye finders work much better for me.
Bill Bynum
Chris White

Post by Chris White »

Doh, I just reread my post, 4&4 degrees, not 2&2.
JakeBlaster wrote:I am afraid I don't have any experience with the quickfinder but, I love my telrad.

I placed reticle's at half, two, and four degrees representing the telrad finders reticle's on a star chart(although, just note the 2 degrees over to 24 Cvn from Alkaid, and 2 degrees from 24 Cvn to M51);

http://www.jakeblaster.com/temp/m51telrad.pdf

(I have horrid color's the M51 text is in yellow, need to change it)

M101 is cool, bright, and big as well.
---------
Chris White
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks for all the info. I will try again when I get a chance and the sky is clear.

As far as the finder scope thing, I think having something to relate distance to or from something else will help a lot. I think that was one of my two problems in not being able to find M51. I was able to find Alkaid just fine, but after that I didn't really have any idea how far to move over and up. I need a lot more practice for sure!

No response from Orion yet on the paint chips. I'll let you know what they say. I'm not extremely worried about it, it's just the principal of the thing, mostly. I paid $450 for the scope, case, and a moon filter, and I don't like it when a brand new thing has a problem with it, especially when it seems like a problem with workmanship.
- rallen911

Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

The distance thing, travel between easy stars and you'll get used to it. Mostly it's just guessing and slowly scanning witha wide angle lense. You probably hit the damn thing and didn't see it.
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

That's likely, as I am in Apple Valley, and SaVaGe5 says that the skies in Savage are not usually good enough.

It was my first try for a galaxy, and I the big dipper was an easy place to start. I'll have to figure out a different one to look for.

Thanks again!
- rallen911

rbubany

Post by rbubany »

The M81 and M82 complex might be a little easier to spot in polluted skies. At least to me, they look brighter.
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
MinnDon

Post by MinnDon »

rbubany wrote:The M81 and M82 complex might be a little easier to spot in polluted skies. At least to me, they look brighter.
Yeah, those two have been "sure things" with my C11. Granted, it's a bigger aperture, but they've both shown up in the EP on "sodium vapor yellow" nights from my front yard in Mound, and at Onan last Friday when the moon had the whole sky painted gray instead of black.
Don Householder
11" Celestron
rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Cool! They are now on the hit list...
- rallen911

rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Is there any place in town that I can get a Telrad? Radio City? Anywhere else?

Thanks!
- rallen911

Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

Radio City should have Telrads... call ahead to make sure though.