A-Day Presentation / Display

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

kibatme

A-Day Presentation / Display

Post by kibatme »

I know John's got a beginner's meeting and dinner planned for A-Day.

Could I also lean on this SIG for a 15 or 20 minute Saturday afternoon presentation? Something like "Getting started in astronomy" or "Buying your first telescope" -- topics that visitors and the general public can relate to?

Would also be great to have handouts, or a poster display about this SIG and what it provides.

Any takers?
Last edited by kibatme on Sun May 07, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

Mike: I would need to defer on the poster thing because frankly, I stink at anything having to do with art or art design. However, I could probably type up a handout or something. Are you thinking about a handout on what the BSIG can do for newbies? Or did you have another topic in mind?
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

Buzzygirl wrote:Mike: I would need to defer on the poster thing because frankly, I stink at anything having to do with art or art design. However, I could probably type up a handout or something. Are you thinking about a handout on what the BSIG can do for newbies? Or did you have another topic in mind?
A handout would be great! Seems Steve E has something like that in his 'welcome table' materials. If so, may be a good jumping off point.

Perhaps a 1/2 sheet FAQ/info handout with an MAS business card stapled to it? ...
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

Mike: I think I'll type up something personalized to the BSIG, letting people know what we can do for them, the intended structure of our get-togethers (which probably will occur every other month, at various locations) and leave some room on it to tack a business card.

I don't have any MAS business cards myself-- I assume there are a bunch out at the observatory?
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

Buzzygirl wrote:Mike: I think I'll type up something personalized to the BSIG, letting people know what we can do for them, the intended structure of our get-togethers (which probably will occur every other month, at various locations) and leave some room on it to tack a business card.

I don't have any MAS business cards myself-- I assume there are a bunch out at the observatory?
Yes, a good-sized supply of cards is in Baby Bear...I think. :roll:

Will check this weekend during training and let you know...
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

kibatme wrote:
Buzzygirl wrote:Mike: I think I'll type up something personalized to the BSIG, letting people know what we can do for them, the intended structure of our get-togethers (which probably will occur every other month, at various locations) and leave some room on it to tack a business card.

Yes, a good-sized supply of cards is in Baby Bear...I think. :roll:

Will check this weekend during training and let you know...
I left two full boxes there a couple of weeks ago. Something in the range of 3000 should be there.
Jon Hickman
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

Anything planned other than Jackie's flier?