Collimation Questions

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

rallen911

Collimation Questions

Post by rallen911 »

On Saturday, just before the BSIG picnic, Bill Bynum was talking a bit about collimation. I was lucky enough to listen, but I wish that I'd had my scope out to go through it.

I've gone through my manual for my Orion XT-8, and I am pretty sure that I understand the concept of what needs done. I am just having difficulty translating the instructions to the actual collimation. I don't have any of the helpful accessories yet, but I wanted to try and do it anyway.

I am pretty solid on how to adjust the primary mirror, but I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing with the secondary mirror. The Orion manual seemed to jump from one to the other, and I couldn't really tell what order to do things in.

Do I have to line the secondary mirror with the focuser tube mechanically before I can do anything? Do I start with the primary mirror? I don't really know.

I've asked my wife for the laser collimation tool for Father's Day, but I probably won't have to wait that long if I don't want too.

What sort of advice does anyone have?

Thanks!
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!
Mike Fischer

Post by Mike Fischer »

rallen911

Post by rallen911 »

Thanks SaVaGe5! That was very informative. Now I just need to get the laser to do it the easier way.
- rallen911

- Telrad mounted on scope and ready for action!