Occultation page, Fortuna

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
scmessner

Occultation page, Fortuna

Post by scmessner »

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here it goes.
Tomorrow night (Thurs) the asteroid (19) Fortuna will occult TYC 0272-00940, 11.0mag, RA11h 40' 49.464" Dec. +00 55' 25.86". Centered at ~12:07:42AM CDT. The 0.9 magnitude drop could last up to 22.2 sec.
If it's clear I will be recording from the observatory and am expecting a couple others coming over. Feel free to come down! E-mail me if you need directions or look in the files section of the MNAA yahoo group for maps.
A map of the path and links to more detailed info is on my new Upper Mid West Occultation page;
http://www.harvestmoonorchard.com/astro ... index.html
I've made these pages for people interested in viewing asteroid occultations or Lunar grazing occultations in the Upper Mid-west. At a glance you can see if there is an event near you with the maps. From there you can go to Google maps and other information needed to help plan a successful occultation. You can also get to my Harvest Moon Observatory page from there.
Anyone with a telescope can make scientific contributions. For asteroids you can help determine the size, shape and orbit. Lunar grazes help determine the Lunar profile and help predict Bailey's Beads during Solar eclipses, refinement of the Moons motion and position in ecliptic latitude, etc. Personally I think it's very fun even a little exciting being in the right place at the right time watching a star disappear as predicted. Even if you have a miss, that may be just as important. Most occultations give a very high resolution making it possible to discover double stars with a separation as little as .02 arc seconds. So far I have 3 probable discoveries of doubles in the almost 2 years of recording occultations.
As with most things in this hobby, you can spend as little or a much as you want. From a pair of binoculars and a watch to spending a few grand on an image intensifier, expensive video camera, video time inserter and recorder to use on your scope. Many people, if they get serious about recording, spend about $400 for a camera and time inserter.
Links to more information are on the pages. Any questions or need help to organize a graze expedition, please e-mail me.
smessner (at) rconnect.com
I will be sending this to other area clubs. Please let me know if there are any corrections or additions I should make and forward the link to anyone you think may be interested.
THANKS
Clear Skies,
Steve Messner
Harvest Moon Observatory
Northfield, MN
18" Newt. pc164, Kiwi, WAT-902H2 ULTIMATE
Upper Mid-West Occultation page- http://www.harvestmoonorchard.com/astro ... index.html