Quality (lack of) in popular press

Topics related to manned space missions

Moderator: clayton

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

I agree that the article should have clarified that point better, but it is possible to come up with an interpretation that makes technical sense. The primary function of the ceramic tiles in the space shuttle is thermal insulation. I presume that is the type of insulation being referred to in that article. While thermal and electrical conductivity often go hand in hand (e.g. silver and copper) there are exceptions. For example, diamond has the highest known thermal conductivity but is an electrical insulator. I am guessing that the author wants a material that is a good thermal insulator to withstand high airspeeds without burning up, but is also a good electrical conductor to facilitate some sort of electromagnetic drive mechanism.
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

I may be wrong, but aren't those superconducting ceramics (superconducting in cryogenic environments, that is) actually (electrical) insulators when not at superconducting temperatures? If they are, then you've got several materials that are both insulator and excellent conductor, just not at the same time.
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

I just saw something on the disocvery channel (or was it this history channel) about our galaxy and stars in it ect and their life cycle. It was so "a guide for dummies" that I wouldn;'t have found it interesting if it aired back when I was in 5th grade.