Hold on there, Mister...

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Ron Schmit

Hold on there, Mister...

Post by Ron Schmit »

Question for ya... Why do I get an error if I try to move too fast on the forums?

In the morning, I log on, and the forum is on the list of the sites I visit each day. I'll click on "View posts since last visit" (in the upper right) and then go through each of those one at a time. I click, read one, hit "back", and it goes back to the "new posts" lists. But, if I get to a short post, and go right back, it tells me 'You cannot make another search so soon after your last'. It's kind of a hassle.

Is this a limitation of the software? Me? The server? A security measure? Is there something I can do to work around that without slowing down?

Not a gripe, just here to learn.

Thanks!
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

That's something that I've been occasionally bothered by, too. I've learned to deal with it by using the browser feature that lets you open a link in a new tab or window. I just open each new post of interest in its own tab, and close the tab when done. The list of new posts remains unchanged in the original tab/window, and the time limit never kicks in.
Jupiter

Re: Hold on there, Mister...

Post by Jupiter »

Ron Schmit wrote:Question for ya... Why do I get an error if I try to move too fast on the forums?

In the morning, I log on, and the forum is on the list of the sites I visit each day. I'll click on "View posts since last visit" (in the upper right) and then go through each of those one at a time. I click, read one, hit "back", and it goes back to the "new posts" lists. But, if I get to a short post, and go right back, it tells me 'You cannot make another search so soon after your last'. It's kind of a hassle.

Is this a limitation of the software? Me? The server? A security measure? Is there something I can do to work around that without slowing down?

Not a gripe, just here to learn.

Thanks!
"View posts since last visit" is technically a "Search" using specific parameters. Searches can really tax the database. So there is a setting to limit searches. Right now it is set to 15 seconds between searches. By hitting the back button you essentially are searching again. If you do that within the 15 seconds, you get the error.

I supposed we could change that setting if people wanted us too. It's basically a safety switch to prevent someone from overloading the database by doing a bunch of searches all at once.
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Given the volume logged in at any given time, I don't think that would be a problem. I would like to suggest that we set that to "1 second between searches" and see how that goes.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Ron Schmit wrote:Given the volume logged in at any given time, I don't think that would be a problem. I would like to suggest that we set that to "1 second between searches" and see how that goes.
I changed it to 3 seconds.... That should work fine.
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

I'm good with that! Thanks, Craig!!!