MAS Chat

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Ben Mullin

MAS Chat

Post by Ben Mullin »

This isn't really a suggestion for the forums per se.

Another forum I frequent has an associated chat room (IRC I think). It's kind of fun to be able to log in and chat with other members occasionally. Its not always on topic, but fun none-the-less.

I don't know if anyone else is interested or even if anyone has the skills/resources/capabilities to pursue this idea. I know I lack everything but the interest.

Just throwing it out there.

Ben
Bob Young

Post by Bob Young »

Whoever admins the board can add a module here is a link to the google search... admin would dload the zipped folder, extract to a new folder in the phpbb directory, some web hosting companies even add the ablility to just turn it on as a module if its preinstalled on the server.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... gle+Search

There can also be an outside link to a chat server as well...
Chip

Post by Chip »

I like the idea, and hope something might come of it. One variant is to have a (weekly etc)
scheduled "chat room" where people can ask questions and bring things up and see
how others respond.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Ben, you could start a chat room, I think, along the lines I just outlined. Try contacting

infoATbttechnologies.com

and ask the question about whether it is possible and how to start a chat room at

http://www.astroclassifieds.com/forums/

The gentleman from BT dropped in a chat last evening at astroclassified (BT is one
of the sponsors of the website) and indicted that there is still lots of server space
available .... So.... This seems like an answer to the question you were about
to ask the next morning?

I didn't see info on the astroclassifieds website about how to start a chat room, but I
could probably get that for you if you want it. The chat engine seems simple and
reliable and is a Flash application.

MAS Forums would just add a link.

People would just register [Joe; password] free and then use it.

Give it a try ... ?

---Tom
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

If that software that Bob linked is free, works well, and doesn't add security risks, that seems like the way to go. It integrates with the existing forums (no new logins etc) and MAS gets to administer it.

If that doesn't work out, perhaps what Tom linked might be another option.

I wonder what Mike/Craig/Et Al have to say about the idea?

Ben
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I have used a few different Chat programs with my Hockey website... I originally used one called ChatSpot that worked good for a while. I then went with something new called FlashChat. (You would need to have Flash installed in order to use it) I still use it on my website and have had 70+ people in there at a time during the season when a hockey game is going on.

This chat can have a ton of features, but I think I would keep it on the simple side if that's okay with all of you...... The only problem is that it can take a lot of resources to run on the server. I am guessing that this will not be a huge issue, but you never know.

I have not done much work on this site in a while, but I checked to see if my ftp login worked... and it does. I currently don't have access to the database, but I don't think I need access to install it. Though I am not sure on that.

You would access the chat in two ways....There would be a link to it up at the top of the page that would bring you to the chat. There would also be info on the chat located in the "Who is Online" box on the main message board page. That info will tell you how many people are currently chatting and who is currently chatting along with a link to get you to chat.

So if this is something you want me to do, I will get on it in the next few days.
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

Well there were three of us that participated in this thread. So we might get at least three people participating at one point :)

I say go for it. But I'm just one person.

Ben
Chip

Post by Chip »

I'd also be for trying it here since it seems to be practical for Craig and it would be something
"new" here that might be useful. Maybe Ben could take the lead as unofficial "chatmaster" or
whatever? <lol> : )

---Tom L.
Chris White

Post by Chris White »

Yeah, I think it would be pretty cool. I would certainly *try* to at least be in the room. I have used flashchat before, it's the best I have seen.
---------
Chris White
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Well... My attempt to add FlashChat failed.

There are just too many read/write/execute permission problems that I can't solve with the access that I have.

I will try ChatSpot instead.....
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

Any update Craig?

Ben
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Ben Mullin wrote:Any update Craig?

Ben
It may be a while.... I lost a hard drive a few weeks ago and it is taking a long time to recover my data and get my computer back to normal.
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Seems like we'd need to schedule chat times anyway. I've noticed that during the times I'm logged onto the forums, I'll find at most one other person logged on during the same timeframe. We must be scattered all over the place in the times we log on.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Ooh ooh. I take that back. Right now there are three! One registered (me), one guest and one hidden!
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

I would think the chat room could be open 24/7 with some scheduled chats maybe.

A few other chats I frequent usually have one or two people hanging out often, with occasional peeks. MAS might have a cloudy Friday night chat or something...

Ben
Matt.Merrell

Post by Matt.Merrell »

How often is it going to be cloudy on Friday?!

Just the nights I want to get out, right? :shock:

Chat 24/7 .... I agree :wink:
Matt Merrell
-----------------------
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I should be able to integrate FlashChat to the site once we upgrade to phpbb3.
Ben Mullin

Post by Ben Mullin »

Oooohhh, that would be cool.