Can we be automatically notified about new posts?

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Steven Andersen

Can we be automatically notified about new posts?

Post by Steven Andersen »

Is there a way to be automatically notified when someone posts a new topic on a forum? For example, I seem to browse the "market place" forum after good stuff is sold. When someone posts a new item for sale, I would like to be notified.

When we post something, we can chose to be notified for any replies, but it would be good to have an option in chich we can chose to be notified for any positings in a forum we would like to follow (like "marketplace" for example)

Thanks in Advance
Reece

Post by Reece »

Yeah, I thought this would be a cool feature too. Most other forums implement this through RSS, but I don't know if we're equipped to use that. It would be awesome if I could get forum updates on my phone.
Steven Andersen

Where do we go from Here?

It looks like Ben asked this question already in a previous thread, and it seems to require an upgrade, but I could not tell from the replies wether or not the automatic notification feature that Ben, myself and others would like can or has been implimented.

Could someone respond to this question?

Thanks
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Right now, you can only subscribe to an individual topic. You can do that by clicking "Watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of any thread.

With the upgrade, you can subscribe to a forum as well which gives you much better coverage.
Steven Andersen

upgrade

Thansk for the reply. I know you don't get paid for this, and I don't want to sound like I am whining, but I really hope that you can do the upgrade and auto notification for forums as soon as your "real" job permits. It would save a lot of time for many of us, and I just might be able to take advantage of some of the good deals on the market place before they are sold, or respond to a request for help at Cherry Grove before the event instead of after etc.

So, thanks in advance

Steve
Chip

Post by Chip »

Steve, on communication by the Cherry Grove Committee, I do see what you may mean, but I'm not on that, and when I was I hammered at that constantly. You well could post that request to the Cherry Grove forum area now and see how the Committee responds.

As it stands now everyone has an equal chance to list and read classifieds and it's not clear that would be any real improvement --- just maybe sellers would get some instant responses when listing. That might be less fair with some items appearing and disappearing nearly instantly. This probably will start happening with the bbs upgrade, so expect it. Most people probably don't have instant email delivery, and certainly aren't monitoring it all day every day and night, so a small minority will get an unfair theoretical advantage, unfortunately. Perhaps the "Instant Topic Notification" could be turned off for that area to try to be fair to everyone and give each an equal realistic chance to see new listings.

"If I were wrong, then one would have been enough." Albert Einstein’s response to the 1931 pamphlet "100 authors against Einstein," by German Nazi Party as clumsy contradiction to Relativity Theory

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual". Galileo Galile

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.” Albert Einstein
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Well... I would like to do the upgrade. But like I said in the other thread, I cannot seem to find Mike Kibat. I can't do anything without him.
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

Jupiter wrote:Well... I would like to do the upgrade. But like I said in the other thread, I cannot seem to find Mike Kibat. I can't do anything without him.
As noted in the other forum, I've contacted both Craig and the board on this topic.