Pictorial Directory

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Ron Schmit

Pictorial Directory

Post by Ron Schmit »

I was looking through the forums this morning and saw a picture of someone I met at the observatory last night... or, was that him...? Hhhmmm, If only we had a pictorial directory.

What do you think, folks? We've got a photo album in place. We could add another category: "Member Pictorial Directory." Everyone uploads a nice portrait shot and <snap>, we've got a visual reference to put a name with that face. Maybe we could add the photos to the member list already on the forum.

One might note, "Gee, Ron... First you want me to hang up my handle, now I've got to put my picture out there?" I'm not saying you HAVE to - participation would be optional.

I just feel that being part of a group is identifying with that group. This would make the group easier to identify.

What do you think?
wkocken

Post by wkocken »

Ron,
I'd NEVER want anyone to see my mug.

Actually, good idea. BTW, I'm also in favor of REAL names. I'm bad with remembering people's names, so this would help me.

Bill
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

I like the idea -- so much that I've already picked out the picture I want to use.

One observation: If the pictures are in a mug shot gallery, it would take some time to hunt down a person's picture. Instead, would it be possible to add the picture to our forum profiles, so that they could be viewed by clicking on a person's name in a posting? That would be really simple to use.
Reece

Post by Reece »

I'd do it. Heck, I already have a shot of me for my avatar. Just so long as I don't turn up in Google searches. I am paranoid and don't want strangers mining the site for information about me.
I do have to say, though, that my Facebook profile already works pretty well for this purpose. I was thinking when I signed up that it would be great to get more social networking links in the profile area (Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Couchsurfing, Flickr, YouTube, etc.) right in there with all the links to our e-mail, AIM, ICQ, and MSN accounts.

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned hanging up handles in your original post, Ron. Does that refer to asking people not to use aliases on the forums? I don't mind sharing my real name, but again, it all goes back to the Google search indexing for me. It would be nice to have an area that doesn't turn up in searches.
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Demo:

I know we all have tons of social sites with posted pics, but this is just for our group. Just one picture, no big deal. Just so we know who's who in the zoo. No, you don't have to change it every time you get a new hair cut, or add your significant other, or that shot you took of yourself in the mirror while throwing a gang sign... <sheesh>

It’s just something that helps when someone writes, “Hey, if you want to find out more, check in with Mike at the Star Party.” And that would be…? Those types of things don’t have to happen in a club, right? Don’t we all WANT to know each other?

Same goes for the handles… Yeah, I was hoping we would drop ‘em. If you dig your handle, that’s cool, but translate for me somewhere. Toss me a bone and put your name in the signature. Again, I want to get to know you, not your online cyber image. Nicknames, I can do. If you’re Skeeter online AND Skeeter in real life, I’ve got no problem. It’s this duel thing that’s got me befuddled.

I was at an outreach event where the host was waiting for some more MAS’ers. “Yeah, John Smith called me earlier this week and said he was coming. Have you heard from him? We’ve got people waiting for him!” “Ah, well, I saw posts from SquidWorld, Messier Man, BeerBelly64, and Princess Starsha… Never heard of John Smith.” Sort of drove home the point for me.

Now, with regard to your anonymity, help me with this… Isn’t this forum restricted access? Aren’t we free from spiders in this hallowed hall? I thought so. Some one more cyber-savvy than I could probably clear that up, but behind our password, is there really a need for all these tricks? Again, maybe I’m missing something.

I’m just trying to improve how we relate, merging our brick & mortar with our click & drag. Speaking of, I noticed your avatar. Well done! I thought, “Hey, that’s the new kid I met out at Onan the other night!” Worked quite well in that instance!

OK, enough from me. Other thoughts?
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

I agree with you 100 percent Ron, both on the idea of mug shots in the photo album and using our real names in the forums. Social interaction is a big part of MAS or any other club. I want to know people's real names and faces.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Reece

Post by Reece »

Yes, I also agree. I looked and can't seem to find a way to change my username. I can definitely put my name in my profile if there isn't a way to alter it.
Now, with regard to your anonymity, help me with this… Isn’t this forum restricted access? Aren’t we free from spiders in this hallowed hall? I thought so. Some one more cyber-savvy than I could probably clear that up, but behind our password, is there really a need for all these tricks? Again, maybe I’m missing something.
Our forums can easily be browsed by non-members, access to posting is all that is restricted. When I signed up, rather than checking to see whether user names turn up in Google searches, I simply went with my old practice of using an alias. It has been a serious problem for me in the past, you see, having a somewhat unique name. Facebook's policy of automatically creating a Google search listing of all users is notorious. You have to go in and specifically set it so that you don't turn up in random searches. Hereis one place, for example, that indexes forums and lists us. The main reason I am concerned with anonymity though, is spam. I hate spam with a passion, and the techniques of e-mail harvesters are ever-evolving. I have always used an alias as a low-tech means of staying ahead of their game.

Despite all this, I am more than willing to help facilitate a community atmosphere by posting under my real name. If it can be changed I will do it.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Once the board gets updated.... (I hope soon) I can add a field for real names and have it displayed if people want. I would suggest that people use their avatar if they want to put a face to a name. It requires no extra programming.
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Demogorgon wrote:Yes, I also agree. I looked and can't seem to find a way to change my username. I can definitely put my name in my profile if there isn't a way to alter it.
It can be changed by a Forum Moderator or the webmaster (by default, a Forum Moderator...) but NOT by the user. Original intent was to keep those intending mischief from hiding themselves behind repeated name changes.

Jon
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

As suggested by Mike, some time back, you could simply add your real name to your signature. That's an easy thing you can change yourself.