ISS/Shuttle & ? pass 7/24/09

Topics related to manned space missions

Moderator: clayton

kibatme

ISS/Shuttle & ? pass 7/24/09

Post by kibatme »

Anyone else notice a companion object moving parallel to the ISS/shuttle complex tonight? I noticed right after ISS passed the zenith less than 10 degrees away. Fairly bright. Moved noticably faster. Don't see a likely candidate listed in Heavens Above. Any ideas?
nailalc

Re: ISS/Shuttle & ? pass 7/24/09

Post by nailalc »

I saw it as well - besides the ISS/shuttle and the moon, I believe it was the only other thing visible in the sky at the time. No idea what it was though and I didn't find anything online either.....
nailalc

Post by nailalc »

Today Spaceweather.com says:

A number of readers who went outdoors after dark on July 24th to see the International Space Station say they also saw an object following (or even passing) the station. The follower was probably the Progress 34, a Russian supply ship which launched earlier in the day from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks Brian. That's interesting. Hope they brought TP for our guys now that our side john is fixed. Or maybe for themselves, our guys having used all theirs up? Life is life.

Redfaced: I just didn't think to look. Was setting up the scope about that time and maybe was doing alignment looking right next to ISS but just on an alignment star setting up for routine stuff later. Shame on me!

---Tom L......

"If I were wrong, then one would have been enough." Albert Einstein’s response to the 1931 pamphlet "100 authors against Einstein," by German Nazi Party as clumsy contradiction to Relativity Theory

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual". Galileo Galile

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.” Albert Einstein