Sunspots

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Starforce2

Sunspots

Post by Starforce2 »

Has anyone used a white light filter lately and noticed any activity?
Dave Venne

Re: Sunspots

Post by Dave Venne »

Starforce2 wrote:Has anyone used a white light filter lately and noticed any activity?
As of today, it's been 38 days since the last sunspot (see here) and they've been few and far between during this minimum. I'm glad I'm not trying to do the AL Sunspotters Club list right now.
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

I thought we had already bottomed out and were on the way up in the cycle.
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Maybe you read the same thing I had (I don't recall the source) that there were hints of 24's start back in December. Based on charts of sunspot number and 10.7 cm solar flux, it looks like the Sun is still in a prolonged minimum.
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

well something is sure causing an icnrease of skip on the CB, and that is usualy a sign of hightened solar activity, plus someone saw some bright aroura...either that or someones doing some kind of classified experiment... :mrgreen:
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

Dave Venne wrote:I'm glad I'm not trying to do the AL Sunspotters Club list right now.
I am trying to do the Sunspotters Club now. And the AL Galileo Club, which requires seeing a spot go around the back side of the sun to reappear on the front side.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

FF2Rydia wrote:
Dave Venne wrote:I'm glad I'm not trying to do the AL Sunspotters Club list right now.
I am trying to do the Sunspotters Club now. And the AL Galileo Club, which requires seeing a spot go around the back side of the sun to reappear on the front side.
Dang. Bad luck times two.

It's a shame the AL requires there to be sunspots on your sequence of solar disk sketches; right now it'd be a snap drawing the Sun day after day after day...