Need a place for general MAS talk thats not open to public

Having problems using the forums? Have a suggestion for a new forum? Here's the place for both.
Bob Young

Need a place for general MAS talk thats not open to public

Post by Bob Young »

Is it me or is the mailing list becoming a bit too political and too much like a forum ??? Maybe there should be some limits enforced as to who can mail or what can be discussed... mind you I said enforced since there is already apparently policy in effect.

Anyway I haven't unsubscribed yet but am close and I'm not sure it benefits MAS to have quite so much free speech in that public of an arena with the whole list getting mailed every time someone wants to call the other a liberal or conservative and how wrong they are.

Pu this here eventhough its not forum related because we dont have a general private area to post :-)
SEmert

Re: Need a place for general MAS talk thats not open to public

Post by SEmert »

Well, you could have posted this to the "off topic" forum. That's the place people who feel they must comment on political or other off topic issues are supposed to post those kind of things. :mrgreen:
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

I recently unsubscribed from the mailing list in part because of the reason Bob mentions. The other main reason was that there were too many mailings outside my interests. I'd resubscribe if the mail list use was limited to MAS business, or if a separate mail list was established for that only information.

Are there mail list subscribers who cannot make the move to the forums? If not, it might be a good time to close down the mail list(s). The forums offer many more capabilities than the mail lists.
Bob Young

Post by Bob Young »

Indeed but isn't this forum non public ??? I think the off topic is public and I'm trying to set a good example of not airing dirty laundry in public :-)
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Bob Young wrote:I think the off topic is public and I'm trying to set a good example of not airing dirty laundry in public :-)
The Off-Topic forum is visible only to registered users of the MAS forum. Try entering the discussion area from the main MAS page without logging in (or letting your system automatically log you in). You won't see the Off-Topic area, nor will you see the all the forums that are grouped under MAS Operations. There are quite a few areas where discussions can become, um, frank without fear of the general public seeing them.
Chip

Post by Chip »

If the gist of this is that there are flamethrowers on the mail lists, I sure have no desire myself to move them over here. Forums have had flame throwing in the dim dark past and I don't feel we need to return to that. Could you contact the mail list moderaters about having any offenders get the riot act read to them and potentially suspended from the mail lists for a brief while to get their attention? Even better, you might contact the Board and ask them to clean up the mail lists? ...just a couple of ideas, this isn't the first time for this sort of junk... I haven't seen any of the stuff myself since I quit the mail lists long ago.

---Tom

"If I were wrong, then one would have been enough." Albert Einstein’s response to the 1931 pamphlet "100 authors against Einstein," by German Nazi Party as clumsy contradiction to Relativity Theory

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual". Galileo Galile

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.” Albert Einstein