This Year!

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Kurt A. Casby

This Year!

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Hi All,

Awfully quiet around here! So, I've got a few questions for you all.

The last week of the year has always been my 'time' for assessment and planning. You know, what did I get done that I had wanted to, and what projects, goals, etc., do I want to do this coming year. While I go through this process for many things in my life, let us restrict any discussion here to things related to Astronomy.

Am I the only one who 'takes stock' at the end of the year? Do any of you have any goals set for the coming year?

Anyone with an observing list they want to start, or, one they want to finish?

Any imagers with a particular object, group of objects, of type of image they want to try?

What are your goals and plans?

I note the "Weather Balloon Space Probe Project" thread, and will be following the efforts of these folks as this sounds like an interesting project.

Personally, I've got a few more days to consider things, so I hope to add to the list. But, as of now, I have the following goals and plans for the coming year.

1) Get my observatory (the LCBO) fully functional again. It has been getting some long overdue maintenance that I hope to finish by Spring.

2) Actually attempt to learn a little more about image processing and using Photoshop and a few other tools.

3) Make time to spend more time at Onan and help with 'outreach'.

4) Get up to the LLCC at least once this year, preferably more than once.

5) Actually take the time to write an article for the "Gemini". Even if it ends up one of those "Hi, my name is Kurt and I am an addict" type articles. If it is too bad, Padre can just 'loose' it!

I may come up with a few more, but so far these are my goals for the year. How about you?

This is a self-help type thread. A year from now, folks are going to ask you how you did with your goals, what will you be able to tell them. Peer pressure motivation!

So, help yourself, and perhaps inspire someone else with a good idea as well! Tell us you plans!

Clear Skies,
Kurt
Dick Jacobson

Re: This Year!

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Kurt, your question prompted me to think about astronomy-related goals for the next year, and I came up with these.

1. File a patent application for an improved binocular mount that I invented around 15 years ago and have never gotten around to patenting.

2. Finally finish rebuilding my 14" Newtonian that I've been tinkering with for at least a year.

3. Build a Dob of around 30" including a periscope to bring the eyepiece down to feet-on-the-ground level, before I get too old and feeble to use it!

That oughta keep me busy for the next year. Maybe I'll even be able to find a few hours to actually use all my equipment.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Reece

Post by Reece »

I'd like to see the balloon project through and take a lot more images. I'd especially like to try some imaging with the rigs at Onan and Belwin. That's about it for me!
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

A year from now this might read like a list of things I didn't get done, but what I hope to do this year is:
  • Build a small backyard observatory (carrying everything out and back each night has gotten really old)
  • Begin CCD and narrowband imaging.
  • (Finally!) finish polishing and figure the 10" mirror I got from Bob K a decade or so ago.
Ford_P

Post by Ford_P »

1.) I really want the balloon project to get kids involved. I'm hoping that by giving kids a hands on project, it will spark their curiosity in science/engineering/math. This is something that I deeply care about.
2.) I've always wanted to see a meteor shower.
3.) Observe more often. The past year was a whirlwind and I didn't have time to get the scope out much.
4.) Check off the remaining 15 items on my Nexstar 50 list.
For my part, I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. Vincent van Gogh