SN2011B

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Kurt A. Casby

SN2011B

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Hi All,

Has anyone seen or imaged this super nova?

Just checking to see if I am the only slacker (I have not seen or imaged SN2011B).

Clear Skies,
Kurt
Dave Venne

Re: SN2011B

Post by Dave Venne »

Kurt A. Casby wrote:Hi All,

Has anyone seen or imaged this super nova?

Just checking to see if I am the only slacker (I have not seen or imaged SN2011B).

Clear Skies,
Kurt
Wow, that's a bright one!

You're not the only slacker; I'm in winter hibernation mode until March, at which time I will emerge from my den ravenous for photons.

Dave
merle

Post by merle »

Steve B and I were at Onan last night and SN2011B was on my list... Unfortunately, I forgot my video camera so the best I could do was get a shot of the monitor from the imaging rig C14. Not the best image, but it clearly shows the supernova at about the 7:00 position from the galactic core of NGC2655.
-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Nice! The host galaxy looks like it would be a good imaging target in its own right.
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Cool, nice shot!

As it happens I was out on the deck (I think some parts of me fell off in the cold and may still be out on the deck!) last night. I could not see the SN visually (10" RC), but was able to get it in an image. I think I could have done a better job of focusing, but I was really cold!

This was a (in my opinion successful) first light for my Christmas present scope, the AT10-RC.

Could you guys see the SN visually at Onan?

Could you guys still feel you fingers at Onan?

Clear Skies,
Kurt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
merle

Post by merle »

Dave Venne wrote:Nice! The host galaxy looks like it would be a good imaging target in its own right.
Yes. It seems to be an unusual one.

Kurt wrote:Could you guys see the SN visually at Onan?

Could you guys still feel you fingers at Onan?

Clear Skies,
Kurt
No and NO... Because it was cold we didn't use the LX200 or the 20", the visual rig couldn't see the galaxy (total eclipse of the roof), which left the imaging platform.

Regarding my fingers... I must say the chemical heat packs saved the night. One in each glove kept my fingers somewhat functional. Thanks to our outreach guest Dave Hrbacek of The Catholic Spirit, who is writing an article on Onan and the MAS, for providing them. I'll make sure to pick some up for myself whenever the wind chill is 20 below again.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
merle

Post by merle »

Kurt A. Casby wrote:... I think I could have done a better job of focusing, but I was really cold!

This was a (in my opinion successful) first light for my Christmas present scope, the AT10-RC.
Ditto with focusing in the cold!!! Memorable image for first light and considering the conditions, GREAT PICTURE KURT!!!
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com