Wayside Observatory, Minnetonka Code 855

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
David R. Brandt

Wayside Observatory, Minnetonka Code 855

Post by David R. Brandt »

Does anyone know anything about this observatory?
The Universe is a Dangerous place. Let's not leave all of our eggs on one planet.
Dale Smith

Re: Wayside Observatory, Minnetonka Code 855

Post by Dale Smith »

The Minor Planet Center assigns codes for observatories cataloguing astrometric observations of solar-system objects.

Lists of these observatories can be found at:
http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/li ... odesF.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_observatory_codes

http://www.jostjahn.de/code/CODE-MAP.HTM

None of these sites listed any details about observatory #855.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Note that just because the Minor Planet Center has assigned it a code does not mean it's a public place. Many amateurs with observatories in their back yard register with the MPC so they can report asteroid observations.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
RussD

Post by RussD »

Hi David,
That is Todd Giencke's observatory. He was active in MAS ten or more years ago. I know he was into imaging quite early and I found this link with some information. He must have been active in the Deep Impact project.

http://stsp.astro.umd.edu/observers/ros ... l#tgiencke

In order to receive an observatory designation, he would have had to submit accurate observations of minor planet positions as proof of his ability to make astrometric measurements.

If you scan down that list to observatory H39, you will see my observatory listed there. I think I made my first observations for my observatory code in the fall of 2003. The observatory codes are given sequentially, so his code of 855 is an early one. Looks like he was active in deep impact around year 2000. I see that the Biosphere 2 observatory is listed there just before his and that was built in the late 90s. So that timing would make sense.

I am not sure if he is still active in the club. Anyone know?

Regards,
Russ Durkee
Shed of Science Observatory
MPC H39
----------------------------------------------------
Shed of Science South Observatory
20" Planewave CDK
Astro-Physics 1600
FLI ML4710
Stellar Skies, Pontotoc, Tx
David R. Brandt

Thanks!

I was trying to download some "1 nighters" from the MPC. It asked for an observatory code and I didn't have the option of entering latitude and longitude so I did a "minn" search of the observatory codes and 855 showed. I was surprised that it is apparently only a couple of miles from my backyard. I hope he doesn't mind if I use his code sometimes. Maybe I will get in touch with him.

I bet you have been getting a lot of data lately. I have been honing my technique and have taken some good pictures of (354) Eleonora. I have tried to capture one of the "1 nighters," but haven't succeeded yet.
The Universe is a Dangerous place. Let's not leave all of our eggs on one planet.
RussD

Post by RussD »

Hi David,
Good to hear you are still doing asteroid work. It is not very difficult to get your own observatory code. The details are listed on the MPC site somewhere, but all you have to do is take some data on a known asteroid and report its position using one of the astrometry packages that are out there and submit your data in the correct format. As long as you have sufficient accuracy, you will be issued an observatory code. The MPC issues observatory codes for a specific person at a specific location. So if you submit data to them, you will need one. Plus it is a neat feather in your cap and puts your facility on the official "list".

Thankfully the weather has been much better in the last few weeks. I did not acquire any data between May5 and July 25, due to the weather primarily. We seemed to be in a hopelessly cloudy period. There were a few clear nights in there, but not all that many on moonless nights. But I have had 6 nights since July 25th and that is a good run. The period between July and October is usually very productive, so I am hoping that this year will be like the last few.

Regards,

Russ
Shed of Science South Observatory
20" Planewave CDK
Astro-Physics 1600
FLI ML4710
Stellar Skies, Pontotoc, Tx
David R. Brandt

Wow! I will try for an observatory code. That would definitely be a "feather" in my cap.

Two years ago I used one of the Global Rent-A-Scope telescopes and submitted measurements for several asteroid, but of course the observatory code was the one in New Mexico. I now have enough equipment to make my own measurements. I'm looking forward to the next two months.