This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

JWeaverling

Post by JWeaverling »

Howdy! I'm a new member. Just bought my first telescope this past spring (12" Orion Skyquest dobsonian with Intelliscope). I've managed to find planets (Saturn and Jupiter) and my first deep sky object (Ring Nebula; perhaps also the Dumbbell Nebula but not sure on that one...) I'd definitely like to hook up with the Beginner's group and get some support/advice. I hope to also make one of the upcoming Onan parties. Does anyone know if there is a next Beginner's SIG meeting planned? Second or third Saturday of September??? Thanks!
FF2Rydia

Re: New Member

Post by FF2Rydia »

Welcome! Unfortunately, I don't know when or where the next B-SIG meeting is, but I think you're close to the established pattern. Regarding the Dumbbell, that's one of those objects that, especially with a 12 inch scope, if you've seen it, you'll know it. However, there is a Little Dumbbell that is harder, so, if you used the Intelliscope to find it, there is a possibility you found the "wrong" Dumbbell.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
Steve Baranski

Post by Steve Baranski »

It was fun meeting up with you at LLCC last weekend !

Looks like we have 2 public nights at Onan this weekend, Perhaps I will see you out there... Still working out my weekend plans...

Take Care,

Steve
JWeaverling

Post by JWeaverling »

Thanks for the advice about the Dumbbell Nebula. So I'm pretty sure I didn't see it and will try again soon!

Won't make the Onan night this weekend but will definitely be at the one on Sept. 16-17...