Venus Transit follow-up

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
merle

Venus Transit follow-up

Post by merle »

OK, now that everyone has had a chance to rest and catch their breath... I'd like to ask everyone who wishes to post their Transit story, experience, best comment heard, photo, VIDEO, etc.
Where did you observe from? Did anyone see it all the way to the horizon? Remember, this is for posterity. In 105 years they'll re-read this forum and be in awe ;-)

-
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Re: Venus Transit follow-up

Post by Jon Hickman »

I set up 4 of my scopes at my church in Medina. Did not do a lot of "advertising" but still managed to have about 120-125 people stop by and take a peek. Very fun, as besides church members and staff, some neighbors or people driving or biking past dropped in to see. Very low key event, but lots of fun. We were able to track the event until about 8:22pm when we finally lost the sun in the distant treeline.

My favorite comment of the night was a 6 or 7 year old who said: "I don't see anything, just a big orange circle with a black dot on it..."
Jon Hickman
wardenmsp

Post by wardenmsp »

I've got to update my account. We set up my PST in the back alley behind our house in S. Minneapolis (it's the only place with a clear view of the Sun in the afternoon). I had passed out informal flyers to the five or six neighbors I know. We had 9 adults and 9 kids between 5 PM and 5:40, when I had to leave.
Bill Arden
Ehi Canyon Observatory
(East of Hiawatha Ave., in the Canyon between two garages)
wkocken

Post by wkocken »

I set up in my front yard using binoculars and projecting onto a card. My wife looked for about 10 seconds and said "that nice dear, now lets go out to Texas Roadhouse for dinner" After we returned she went in the house and I took another look and took a couple of photos of the setup and the projection. I posted 4 picures on Facebook ( yeah, yeah, I know.). I got good feedback from my brother in New Orleans (who was clouded out). my sons friend (who attempted unsucessfully to see it through welders goggles) and my daughter's in-laws (who also did the bino projection thing). No neighbors stopped by.

I don't usually get too excited about astronomical "events", but this one was an exception because it is so rare and, for once, the weather and the time of day cooperated.

Bill
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

I purchased 25 (min purchase) eclipse glasses and handed them out to friends and family several weeks before the event. My neighbor used them in Utah (on vacation) to see the solar eclipse from a motel parking lot with many other people staying there. We went to AZ to visit our son to make sure we have a clear sky setting up in his back yard to see ~½ the transit. I could have moved to a more remote site to see maybe another hour of the transit but it was 101F and having an air conditioned house to go in between photos was a must. Our son and my wife also saw the transit through the scope and with the eclipse glasses. I had a similar experience as Bill, my wife wanted to make sure the transit was over in time to go out to eat. I also got feedback from friends and family on their delight in seeing the transit through the eclipse glasses.

Mark
lhoen

Post by lhoen »

I set up my double-stacked PST in my driveway and invited my neighbors to stop by until about 7 pm when the sun began crossing over my nieghbors roof! About 10-15 adults and 7-8 kids were wowed! Some of the kids knew more about it than that adults, but everyone enjoyed seeing it.
Lauren
mtuepker

Post by mtuepker »

I'll remember it as a gorgeous day spent w/ a large group of avid astronomers just taking it all in. I'm glad it's something I was able to do with my son, even though he will have no memory of it!

Venus_Transit_Panorama by mtuepker, on Flickr
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

I went to Hawaii to see the whole thing. Astronomy group tour headlined by Sky and Telescope magazine. Watched 1st and 2nd contact in crystal clear skies from 13,600 ft atop Mauna Kea next to the Subaru telescope installation. Then relocated to the 9,000 ft level where there was a public star party going on at the Mauna Kea Visitor's Information Center. Hundreds of people, dozens of telescopes of all types, and some new age types who were beating drums and chanting.......... I was part of a small subgroup who were observing together - between us we had H-Alpha, white light binocs, white light telescope, and something I had never seen before called a "Hershell Prism" (?) that gave green views with fantastic contrast through an 80-mm short-tube refractor. Mist started moving in at that level toward the last third of the transit, so we had the option to relocate to the summit or to go to the beach. So we chose the beach where we saw third and fourth contact, shortly followed by a Hawaiian sunset where some people reported seeing a "green flash" although I didn't. Fantastic day!!! I took some snapshot-type pictures which I haven't looked at on a bigger screen yet.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

Here is the link to the Wikipedia article on Herschel prisms or wedges:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_wedge
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

One more thing that I thought was funny - the local newspaper in Hawaii had a Transit photo on the front page the next morning, and one of the other tour participants was groaning that, while the rest of the world watched the NASA feed from right there at Mauna Kea, the local newspaper printed a Transit photo from Minnesota.........I just had to check - thought it might be one of us but it was someone in Brainerd whose picture got picked by AP or Reuters or whatever.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Dale Smith wrote:Here is the link to the Wikipedia article on Herschel prisms or wedges:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_wedge
Kurt had his Baader Planetarium Herschel wedge at Onan. Pretty cool device. It has a translucent screen on the back for aiming.

Here's the page on OPT's site:
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid ... schel&st=2
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
ValtsTreibergs

Post by ValtsTreibergs »

I set up my C-11 at Tamarack Nature Center in White Bear. About 25 or so passers-by caught the transit, and I was able to get some shots myself.

Valts Treibergs
Valts Treibergs
Optics: Takahashi Epsilon-160 / Edmund 8" 4001 / Brashear 4" Achromat / Gaertner 6" Achromat
Cameras: Canon 60Da, QHY-22, QHY-533M, TIS color&mono, Point Grey Flea color USB3, T7C
Mount: Losmandy G-11 w/Gemini-II
Huggy

Post by Huggy »

I setup my 6" Refractor with a white light fitler, my 25X100 Binoculars with white light filters, and my 4" astroscan with a projections screen. I was located in a park in Columbia Heights MN and had about 30 poeple total look though my equipment. I took some photos with my Cell and with my Cannon Camera mounted to the 6". It was a fun event. :wink:
LLCC Committee Chair
Key Holder - All
Primary gear: :D
20" F4 DOB Galaxy Mirror
C-11 Hyperstar and CGX-L
ZWO ASIair Pro 294C cooled
25x100 Bino
kenhugill@comcast.net