Need help with Meade DS2090

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Optimus

Need help with Meade DS2090

Post by Optimus »

Hi guys,
I am new and please bear with me. I'll try to explain my problem. So I have this Meade DS2090 which I bought for only $37. I updated the Autostar. My problem is when I chose a target or object from the Autostar, the telescope keeps slewing, turning and pointing up, but it does not stoop even if the object is right in front of me. I tried is with Stellarium and StellariumScop. On the Stellarium screen on my computer, I chose an object which I can see with my eyes, but telescope does not point to that object. I set up the telescope as it say on the Autostar, but still slewing and turning until I stop it.
Thank you for your help.
Optimus.
MaryB

Re: Need help with Meade DS2090

Post by MaryB »

Check the encoder connections, may have a bad encoder that isn't sending the signal to the controller.
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

Checking question - did you do a two-or three-star alignment procedure to orient the telescope? Also, did you polar-align the telescope mount to begin with, if it's an equatorial mount?
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

On the Meade website, you can download the manual for the DS2090. I skimmed through it looking for help for your issue and it looks like you need to initialize and align the telescope/autostar combination so the autostar knows where it is. This involves physically aligning the telescope to North and level, and then "teaching" the autostar where it is by aligning it with two reference stars. If all works properly, the autostar will then be able to tell how far and in what direction to move to the objects you wish to view. Check out www.meade.com/manuals.

Good Luck!
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas