New Member Info

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Zanderfax

New Member Info

Post by Zanderfax »

Hello,

I signed up as a member at the Fall Astronomy Day at Onan and I was wondering what to expect as a new user to get from the society or what I need to do to get involved.

Thanks,

Jeff
SEmert

Re: New Member Info

Post by SEmert »

Hi Jeff,

My apologies. I'm the membership coordinator, and will be sending out your new member welcome letter and information soon. Unfortunately I've been pretty busy with some personal and professional commitments as well as working on the new Cherry Grove Observervatory the last couple months, and have not been as timely at inputting member information as I should be. I hope to get your information in the mail soon.

In the meantime, please participate in any activities you'd like as a member. You've already gotten off to a good start in joining the forums, as this is generally our most active means of interactive communication. I'd urge you to also subscribe to the MAS mailing list. Info is found on the web site. I'd say come to the next monthly Beginner's Special Interest Group (B-SIG) meeting, but we don't have one scheduled until after the Chrismas holiday season is over.

MAS member meetings are the first Thursday evening of every month beginning at 7:00 pm. They are almost always held at the Fairview Community Center in Roseville.

I welcome you to look at the events schedule on the MAS web site and come to any meetings and star parties and public nights that fit in your schedule.

Beyond that, keep a look out on the email distribution lists and web forums for activities and join in anything you'd like!
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
clayton

Post by clayton »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the MAS. If there's any questions please feel free to ask. The Beginners Special interest Group is a great place to get any questions answered. The New Member orientation is great overview of MAS but since that is not scheduled to repeat for a while please feel free to ask.
Clayton Lindsey
Zanderfax

Post by Zanderfax »

Thanks for the info!