15th Annual MM - 3 weeks away!

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

jjones7777

15th Annual MM - 3 weeks away!

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

The 15th Annual Messier Marathon is now only 3 weeks away. As we get closer, we'll need to determine whether or not the field at Cherry Grove will be acceptable for observing. In the meantime, consider doing a little MM preparation.

There are two great Messier Marathon books out there. the Observing Guide to the Messier Marathon by Don Machholtz, and the 'red-book' Messier Marathon Field Guide by Harvard Pennington. Both are great, but the Pennington is my personal favorite. It contains great charts and excellent beginning/intermediate information.

There are other Messier Marathon Charts out there which, while not as good - are free. Both of them are telrad-based charts. I've placed them in a dropbox so you can download them if you don't already have them.
Here's one: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20490541/messi ... 20copy.pdf
Here's the other: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20490541/MM%20 ... 20copy.zip This one is a zip file of 15 different telrad charts.

Let me know if you can't seem to download them.

So, here's hoping for warm weather to get rid of the snow along with hoping for clear skies!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
Astrolaman

Re: 15th Annual MM - 3 weeks away!

Post by Astrolaman »

Hi Jerry,
Your links didn't work for me.
-john
jjones7777

Re: 15th Annual MM - 3 weeks away!

Post by jjones7777 »

The links don't seem to be working for everyone. I've attached some of the maps on the announcement on the observing SIG page - try that one and let me know if that one works.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha