Messier Marathon CANCELLED for March

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

jjones7777

Messier Marathon CANCELLED for March

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

Without a doubt, this winter is NOT like last winter. After looking at the condition of the observing field at Cherry Grove this past weekend, it is has been decided that we POSTPONE the Messier Marathon until APRIL 5TH (with backup on the 6th). Without considering the upcoming snow storm, it would simply not be possible to utilize the field effectively, even with the addition of another week of waiting. Consequently, it seems best to simply wait for warmer weather in April. Unfortunately, Daylight Savings Time will then be in operation, pushing everything back an hour.

Our apologies to all of those who were ready for this weekend. Hang on! Observing Season is right around the corner!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
Dave Venne

Re: Messier Marathon CANCELLED for March

Post by Dave Venne »

Jerry,

Does this mean that the associated MM public star party scheduled for March 8 at Eagle Lake is also cancelled and rescheduled to April 5?

Dave
wkocken

Post by wkocken »

jjones7777 wrote:Unfortunately, Daylight Savings Time will then be in operation, pushing everything back an hour.
Good decision. I'm not sure if DST pushing things back an hour is a problem this time of the year. I always found it challenging to get to CG early enough, especially on Fridays.
Bill
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Dave Venne wrote:
Does this mean that the associated MM public star party scheduled for March 8 at Eagle Lake is also cancelled and rescheduled to April 5?

Dave
Hi Dave,

I think this one is mostly Merle's call, although he has told me that he doesn't expect Eagle Lake to be in much better situation than Cherry Grove, especially now with the new snow. I've asked him - we'll get an answer.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
merle

Post by merle »

Dave Venne wrote:Jerry,

Dave
Due to the snow and ice, there are not many places to set up scopes at Eagle Lake either, so the Messier Marathon for March 8th is cancelled. Having the marathon on April 5th will conflict with the Imaging Marathon scheduled for that night and the 6th is a public night. We can still have a "visual" marathon the same night as the imagers, but since the discussions to have a imaging marathon precede the change of the marathon date to April, I'll defer extending an invitation to the visual observers to the organizers of the IMM.

Either way, the main marathon would be at CGO.

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
mtuepker

Post by mtuepker »

I can't speak for all of the imagers, but observers are welcome to join our IMM party if they would like. Just be warned, we do have a few more lights and what not going off and on due to the nature of imaging, but we all still try to stay very respectful of every one's night eyes.
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

Ditto on that--It looks like we will be only three in number. It makes sense to yield to the greater audience. Please do reschedule for April 5.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Oh too bad. I was looking forward to my first star party. I suppose I don't have my mirrors collimated and the tool is still in the mail so it's not the worst timing. Looking forward to April!
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Thanks for the flexibility, imagers. Us eyeball guys appreciate it.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Dave Venne

Post by Dave Venne »

What is the official status of the public star part that was scheduled for March 8? It is still listed that way on the MAS home page.

Is it rescheduled as a public star party for April 5? Or as a private star party? Or not at all?

From the discussion above, I've assumed it would be rescheduled to April 5 with the same designation as before. This is how I have posted it on Facebook.