Availability of loaner scopes

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

ndbobbo

Availability of loaner scopes

Post by ndbobbo »

Hi,
My name is Bobby John, and I am new to the MAS. I was observing at Metcalf the other night and met a fellow newbie who had a ten inch DOB. It was absolutely thrilling to use it compared to my Meade 90exc. We can't afford to buy one at the moment so I have been looking into the loaner scopes on the website. I emailed the VP but haven't heard back yet. I was curious if anyone has had any experience with this process. Is there usually a waiting list, or are they commonly available? I have really enjoyed hunting the skies for DSOs, and if the loaners are hard to come by I will start saving for a used one.
Thanks!
Enberg

Re: Availability of loaner scopes

Post by Enberg »

I've got a couple good options for you.

1. the loaners you are asking about are available monthly - I don't know how long current waiting lists might be, but there are three large dobs (2 8" and a 10") as well as a couple 6" reflectors too. I think the VP is on vacation this week - he should get back to you soon. If one is available you could make arrangements to pick it up, or the loaner scopes often get checked in and then checked out by the next borrower at the monthly club meetings on the 1st Thursday of each month.

2. At the MAS Cherry Grove observatory, we have two loaner dobs (8" and 10") for use on-site at Cherry Grove by any club member. We have a star party at Cherry Grove this coming Friday (8/9) assuming the weather is worthy of the drive. So, show up and ask for Vic or Nancy to help you get set up with one of the club scopes for the evening. Also, I expect we'll be getting the 24" dob out this Friday (again, weather permitting).

3. Any Public Night at Eagle Lake Observatory will have plenty of cool stuff to look at through big scopes, but you would not be able to choose your targets etc.

Funny you should mention meeting other astronomers at Metcalf Field - I was just wondering how much use Metcalf is getting these days! Glad it works for you as an observing site.

Nancy
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
ndbobbo

Post by ndbobbo »

Thanks for the respnse. I figured the vp was busy. I will be hoping for clear skys friday night.
Thanks again!
heinerv

Post by heinerv »

There is another option also. At Cherry Grove we have 2 Dob's located there. Each is available to anyone at CGO. Of course, they stay there and it is first come/first use. We also have map kits for you to use and get familiar with star hoping and locating objects. We have a star party scheduled for Friday. Come on down and we can show you.