Best places for Astrophotography?

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

TrueMuse

Best places for Astrophotography?

Post by TrueMuse »

Hello! I am just getting into photographing the cosmos! I do not have a telescope but am going to be playing with layering multi-exposures in the software Nebulosity. I live in Uptown Minneapolis, and there is FAR to much city noise for me to take photos. I have a couple weeks off work and would like to travel north and find a good spot, I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions? Favorite spots? Does anybody know of a good hotel (dog friendly preferred) that I could stay at while I practice my astro-photos?

Thanks so much! I have been on these forums before and everybody is so helpful and nice. I really appreciate it!

-Sable Luna
:mrgreen:
Ricola

Re: Best places for Astrophotography?

Post by Ricola »

My first thought would be to rent a camper's cabin (if you are not the tent-camping sort) at one of the state parks away from the Cities and other populated areas. They run about 40-60 bucks a night. http://images.dnr.state.mn.us/destinati ... in_map.jpg

Lake Maria and William O'Brien are pretty close yet will be a big improvement from the cities. Savannah Portage, Beaver Creek Valley, and Whitewater are farther away, but darker. All of these parks have some open space that would be suitable for trying your hand at night sky photography.

Closer to town, you could drive out to our Eagle Lake Observatory in Norwood-Young America, or to the Metcalf Observing Field near Afton/Woodbury. Those sites won't be as dark, but would be a good place to practice with your gear. Lots of our members image from inside the metro, but I know it can be a frustrating experience.

Good luck, and Clear Skies!