Double Star Observing Program

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Astrolaman

Double Star Observing Program

Post by Astrolaman »

I intend to participate in the Astronomical League's Double Star Program as soon as I can finish off constellation sketches for the Northern Constellation Hunter Club.
I have a question for anyone who has completed the double star program. In the required double star sketches, is north based on an altazimuth representation or an equatorial representation with North oriented towards Polaris? If it is towards Polaris, then except for some circumpolar stars, I will shift my eyepiece observations in sketches by 45 degrees to keep north at the top of the sketch? I am using a refractor on an altazimuth mount so that N is up and W is to the left.

I would appreciate any other suggestions on completing the double star program.

-john hill
wkocken

Re: Double Star Observing Program

Post by wkocken »

Your sketches should indicate North and East or West using equatorial coordinates. In that way the orientation can be determined for every observer at every time.

You do not need to redraw your sketches, but you need put an pair of arrows on the sketch indicating which way is North and either East or West. The drift in your eyepiece will vary depending on where you are looking so these arrows will also shift orientation. It is not just a 45 degree shift,

I pasted the following in from http://www.raleighastro.org/observing/o ... -telescope
"One thing is for sure, an astronomical object allowed to drift across the field of view of an undriven telescope will move exactly from east to west in response to the earth's west to east rotation.... Which side is north depends on the type of telescope you are using and whether you are looking "straight through" or through a star diagonal. The following table gives the direction north relative to the drift direction (east towards west) for various types of observing equipment. Relative to the drift

Type of instrument: North is
----------------------------- ------------
Binoculars : Left
Refractor (straight through) : Left
(with star diagonal) : Right
Newtonian reflector : Left
Catadioptric (straight through) : Left
(with star diagonal) : Right
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Astrolaman

Re: Double Star Observing Program

Post by Astrolaman »

Thanks Bill,
My head is spinning from reading the linked article by Bill Hewitt, but it does answer my question along with your response. I will have to take my scope out one night a just play with this using double stars located in different parts of the sky.