The next comet… Lovejoy

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

merle

The next comet… Lovejoy

Post by merle »

After a brief mourning period for comet ISON, I've shifted to attempts at viewing comet Lovejoy (C/2013 R1)

If we can get some clear skies, I will be scheduling a comet party this Saturday evening. Keep posted for updates as the weekend gets closer.

Like ISON, Lovejoy is visible in both the morning and evening (select the links for charts).

Merle

-
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
merle

Re: The next comet… Lovejoy

Post by merle »

It looks like it will be clear for comet viewing tonight. The ISON / Lovejoy star party is on.

Revised start time of 5:00 pm at the MAS Eagle Lake Observatory.

FYI: The forecast is for below zero temps with teens below zero wind chill.

Be sure to dress VERY warm!!! I don't want to see anyone out there without a hat and gloves on!!!!
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
merle

Post by merle »

Despite the -5 degree temperature, we had a great star party last night. There we about 25 of us there to view comet Lovejoy, Venus, the moon and a couple other objects. The skies were a bit hazy, but Lovejoy clearly stood out. The most oh's, ah's and wow's were for Venus and the moon.

This was a unique star party in that for the first time (well, probably the first time), the Onan Observatory was not used for a public event. There was so much snow remaining on the roof, I didn't want to attempt rolling it open. Utilizing the new Sylvia Casby Observatory we were able to entertain everyone and having the HotSpot Classroom for everyone to warm up was an incalculable godsend.

Finally, I have to send a huge THANK YOU to John Hill and to a few of our guests tonight for shoveling the snow around the observatories and path to the HotSpot. Thanks also to our members and guests who gave up a comfortable evening at home to brave the late January temps for a few views through the telescope.

Merle
-
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
merle

Post by merle »

With the forecast for tomorrow of 50% cloud cover at sunset and getting cloudier throughout the night, I am canceling the Public Star Party for December 21st.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com