Friday's Messier Marathon is ON!

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

jjones7777

Friday's Messier Marathon is ON!

Post by jjones7777 »

The Messier Marathon for Friday at CGO is ON. Yes - ON.

NOAA is predicting 28% to 36% cloud cover. The Clear Sky Clock is predicting less than average transparency and seeing, probably due to high cirrus clouds and water vapor. Consequently, some of the fainter Messier objects may be more difficult to locate. Low temperature will reach about 35º, so remember to bring plenty of warm clothes (the warming shed will be open). Also, the field may be soggy, so if you are bringing a dob you might want to also bring a tarp upon which to set it.

Some additional information, including the downloadable Marathon form can be found just below this entry in the MAS Star Parties and Events.

Let the Observing Season begin!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
wkocken

Re: Friday's Messier Marathon is ON!

Post by wkocken »

Looks like conflicting weather forecasts.

As of Friday morning, the Clear sky chart is somewhat optimistic after 10PM and better after midnight.
The NOAA hourly cloud cover graph actually starts out pretty good and slowly degrades as the night goes by.
When I look out the window, it looks great.

I cannot be there tonight, but if I were available, I'd take the chance and head on down.

Have fun, and clear skies.
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com