Using observing sites

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

clutchman

Using observing sites

Post by clutchman »

Hey folks. First post here. I have been contemplating getting a telescope for years and finally made the purchase. I ended up with a Celestron Advanced VX 6" Newtonian. I'm interested in joining Star Parties and becoming a member soon down the line but my work schedule doesn't usually coincide that well with what I see. Are the sites available to use to the public until I pay for my membership? I'm particularly interested in the Cherry Grove site to just set up my scope and not use the facilities. Since I work overnights and I'm up overnights on my weekends which are Wednesdays and Thursdays I have plenty of time to play around but my home yard is blocked pretty well by trees. I could also use some help getting used to using my telescope as I think I was having some trouble getting aligned. Going to give it another go tonight but I would love to be somewhere more open and dark, and since I live south of the cities, it's kind of convenient for me to go there. Could someone with this knowledge let me know if this is okay? Thanks.

Jesse
Dick Jacobson

Re: Using observing sites

Post by Dick Jacobson »

The Cherry Grove site is owned by MAS and you are welcome to use it any time you want. Once you join MAS you can attend a keyholder training session (these are held at least once a year) after which you can use the other facilities. There will be a training session on July 25, backup on the 26th if weather is bad. Contact Vic Heiner for details.

I'm sure you'll find that a dark site greatly enhances your viewing experience. Hope to see you soon at a star party!
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
clutchman

Post by clutchman »

Thanks for your reply. I may take a look at the site tonight.
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

At Cherry Grove, you can use the parking lot, the observing field and the outhouse without any training or keys or anything, provided you are an MAS member. We have a neighbor with fairly bright yard lights, and passing traffic headlights are an issue sometimes; if you set up between the buildings you can use the buildings to block the lights. When there's a bunch of us there we set up tarps.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
defalkner

Post by defalkner »

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Actually, for liability purposes you need to be a member of the MAS to use the site, and preferably be a key holder if you are using it on non-MAS Star Party nights. If you are interested in using the site I would appreciate your joining the MAS for the very reasonable membership fee of $26 per year.
Clear skies!
Dave Falkner
10" Meade SNT
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 SCT
CGO Committee
MAS Secretary
clutchman

Post by clutchman »

Sounds good. How do I apply? Also when is keyholder training? Someone mentioned they thought it was in a week. Could I apply and pay fees at the training? Thanks.

Jesse
defalkner

Post by defalkner »

The next training is currently scheduled for July 25, which is also a regularly scheduled star party, weather permitting. Keep you eye on the Cherry Grove Observatory forum on this topic for the latest updates.
Clear skies!
Dave Falkner
10" Meade SNT
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 SCT
CGO Committee
MAS Secretary
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Information on joining is at
http://www.mnastro.org/members/join/

You should be able to join online, by mail, or you can come to one of our events or meetings to join