Speakers needed

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

merle

Speakers needed

Post by merle »

I'm looking for a few members to give a presentation During this years Fall A-Day on October 4th.

If you are available to help send me an email (address below) with your topic and a brief description of your talk.

Thanks,
Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
David R. Brandt

Re: Speakers needed

Post by David R. Brandt »

I volunteered once and was turned down so good luck.
The Universe is a Dangerous place. Let's not leave all of our eggs on one planet.
merle

Post by merle »

David R. Brandt wrote:I volunteered once and was turned down so good luck.
We have a full agenda for Fall A-Day, but for future events If you are available to help send me an email (address below) with your topic and a brief description of your talk.

Next events:
Astronomy Day, April 25, 2015
Camping with the Stars, July 17 & 18, 2015
Fall A-Day, Sept. 19, 2015

There are also opportunities to give a talk at the monthly meeting on the first Thursday of the month.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

Hey Merle,

I have a couple books and little odds and ends that would be good for door prizes - can I just bring them Saturday?
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
David R. Brandt

I bought a C11 EdgeHD from a club member last summer and my project for the winter was buying the equipment and software to automate it.
I started testing it this spring and discovered that the equatorial head had to much friction so I bought the rebuilding kit and rebuilt it. Anyway, because of that setback and the rotten weather the testing isn't complete.

I would present some of the considerations for selecting software and hardware as well as a mention of the iTelescope network.
The Universe is a Dangerous place. Let's not leave all of our eggs on one planet.
merle

Post by merle »

Enberg wrote:Hey Merle,

I have a couple books and little odds and ends that would be good for door prizes - can I just bring them Saturday?
That would be great! We're a little short on prizes for this event, so every bit would help…

Thank You
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
David R. Brandt

Do you or don't you need speakers?
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

[quote="David R. Brandt"]Do you or don't you need speakers?[/quote]

Fall A-day was last Saturday.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
clayton

Post by clayton »

David

Unfortunately it sounded like you did not get a timely reply about A-Day. I'm sure that was an unintentional omission. But it sounds like you have
some good content to share and you don't have to wait until the next A-Day to do-it. Maybe you can speak at our monthly club meeting or write a Gemini Article? However you mentioned a fairly large range of topics, I would suggest tailoring the presentation to different audiences depending on where you speak or publish. The A-Day is general Public so general "tools" of the Amateur astronomer maybe starting with the naked eye through binoculars , onward through options for a beginner scope and completing with a taste of the to the world of a committed astronomer would be good for A-Day or Camping with the Stars presentation . The general monthly meeting is a mixed group. Some are just beginning but are quite motivated to learn more. Many will be advanced. So there I believe the intermediate to advanced aspects of your journey to automating a telescope, covering equipment, technique and results would be of interest . I do not know much about iTelescope but what I saw looked interesting.

Gemini articles could be one or more articles focusing on the different topics; whatever your like. I think the larger number of Gemini pages now let a little more in depth articles. You could probably get as detailed as you like there. However, breaking it up into a series of articles or separate article lets Father Brown have flexibility to match article lengths to available space and provide articles of different flavor in the same issue for the varied Gemini readership. I guess I should mention the forums are good too. Or how about a youtube video? I would not mind seeing more longer threads here. Now days with so many channels of communication the choices make me dizzy. Maybe the truth is that is there is no one best choice.

Regardless please share. To me that's the best part of our community.
Clayton Lindsey