Public Viewing locations

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

SpecialRob

Public Viewing locations

Post by SpecialRob »

I am a new user - just picked up my first scope. 8" Dobsonian. I have been watching a lot of history documentaries and realized humans have been studying the stars for thousands of years and this is a skill I should also pick up.

I took her out for the maiden voyage last night. First thing I noticed is I need to find a better viewing location. I live in the trees and the street lights make this not possible in my neighborhood.

I went to the high school (Wayzata) thinking it has a large open area on a hill. Of course every single light was on about 9PM.

I tried to find a business parking lot but they too all have security lights.

I ended up at Lake Independence. Big open parking lot - relative bug control - no lights. The surrounding tree line was limiting but not a bad first start. Not exactly sure what I am doing or what I am looking for, but a good start. It would be better if this parking lot were on TOP of a hill to get away from the trees. The park also claims to close at sunset or 10PM - I was not hassled in any way but I was expecting it.

Are there any good 'grab and go' viewing locations on the western side of town? It appears there are formal viewing parties at various locations here on this site. I will probably be checking some of those out over time - but what about 'stress free, no planning, dont want to drive for hours and stay up all night' viewing? Does that make sense?

Any good parks or parking lots that folks have found?
Astrolaman

Re: Public Viewing locations

Post by Astrolaman »

My experience has been that most parks close at 10:00 PM, about the time that it becomes dark enough for good observing. To get around this limitation I have used the parking lot of the dog park at the north east end of Elm Creek Park. It is tolerably dark there and outside of the park proper but close enough to civilization in case there is a problem of any sort. It is adjacent to St. Fridolin Cemetery on Goose Lake Road (Zachary Rd.).

Recently, I have been making the drive to the MAS facilities in Baylor Park, the Eagle Lake Observatory, because it is darker and I am more comfortable there late at night.
-john hill
SpecialRob

Post by SpecialRob »

I found the skyview parking lot in French park is not too bad. Lots of light from MPLS to the east but not bad looking west. The park gates close at 10pm but have a car sensor to open and let you out if you stay past 10pm. The park patrol will drive by once in a while and have given me no grief.
PoweredBySoy

Post by PoweredBySoy »

I'm just starting to get into astronomy myself (got my new Orion binocs, lounge chair, and some star charts - I'm all set) and had this exact question, so I figured I would bump this old thread. I live in St Louis Park, so heading west out of the cities would definitely be easiest, but I'm just not sure where to go. At least not legally... which I guess is kind of important.

As Rob was saying, I'm just looking for good 'grab and go' locations.

Does anybody have any prime viewing locations they'd like to share?

Is Baylor Park open to the public at night?

Thanks.
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

About an hour west of town there is a nice dark viewing spot at the north shore of Lake Jennie. Drive west on Hwy 12 to Dassel, then turn south on 15, then left onto 18 and drive a few more miles, then a couple more miles on dirt roads. Watch for the small brown "Public Water Access" signs, the observing spot is a public boat launch. A good detailed map will help.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Onego98

Post by Onego98 »

This is something I am interested in also. I have found that my girlfriend's deck in Eden Prairie is relatively better than my location in Minneapolis but still not too dark. I would be looking for a location within 40 minutes of the central metro.

Thanks!
amanfredi

Post by amanfredi »

I have no suggestions but am also very interested in this! Can not believe how many barn lights there are.
Steve Baranski

Post by Steve Baranski »

As to Baylor Park, - no, it is not open to the public at night. That is reserved for MAS members trained for ELO.
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

If you're not looking east, Baker Park works well.
Jon Hickman
clayton

Post by clayton »

Clayton Lindsey