Need help getting started in reserching how to begin!

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

JustinK

Need help getting started in reserching how to begin!

Post by JustinK »

Hello all, we have moved to the country, and I am looking at getting AP. However, I don't even know enough to be dangerous! Here is what I am hoping to have:

Ability to visually observe large objects(planets, moons, etc) with my younger kids (occasionally)

Ability to apply a webcam and do some photo stacking and getting amazing (to me) images ( I am a fairly tech savvy person, and look forward to this aspect most)

My budget is around $500 for the scope. The telescope will be a used model of some sort, based on recommendations.

I have been reading and "youtubing" and have learned so much that I can't keep it all straight!

I am simply looking for a simple get this scope (type or brand, just simplified enough that I can start researching that type instead of ALL types.) Celestron, Orion, and Meade are what I am thinking, but if there are other options, please let me know. I will only be using a webcam and not a 35mm or DSLR.

It should have a German Equatorial mount, or should it have a computerized mount?

Get this webcam (or type)

Use this software (Because your are new and want to have good results right away)

What lenses are mandatory? How about filters? What would a beginner's starter kit be comprised of?

If anyone is willing to take the time to answer all or any part of this, I would truly appreciate it.
Enberg

Re: Need help getting started in reserching how to begin!

Post by Enberg »

B-sig meeting in February is dedicated to Telescope Selection - optics and mounts. Might be a great place to learn. Also, since you are leaning toward astrophotography, you might also look in the "Imaging" forum - there have been several past threads on equipment for starting AP, and some really good imager guys who can advise you once you've checked out existing threads.

Meanwhile, there is a B-SIG meeting on January 17 that is an intro for the year, Planning an Observing Session, and what new gear you got over the holidays. Feel free to join us there!

Nancy Rauschenberg
B-SIG co-moderator
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
JustinK

Post by JustinK »

Thank you, I will definitely try and make it. One of us have been sick at any given time since the beginning of Nov. and I hope that we all well by then!

Thanks,
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Justin:

I would say a motorized 8" SCT would be probably the lowest you want to go. Aperture-wise, you'll get some good results for the money. By motorized, I don't mean computerized. Just a clock drive to track the object.

The computer will get you pointed at it, but where's the fun in having it done for you? Align the scope to the pole and find the object yourself. Setting circles make it a breeze, once you learn how to use them. You'll save a crap-ton of money, too. You could go with an equatorial, but the counter-weights can make hauling it cumbersome. I would go with a classic fork, like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... maller.jpg

Accurate enough for a webcam, and nice and portable. It'll cost you ~ $500.

Ron
Last edited by Ron Schmit on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustinK

Post by JustinK »

Thanks Ron, I like it. This is simple enough for me to get started looking into.

Thank you very much!
vkodati

Post by vkodati »

Justin, did you get all the answers you need? Have you successfully setup for your observations?
__
Regards,
Vikash Kodati
Amature Astronomer