Dobsonian vs Computer Controlled

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

JustinK

Dobsonian vs Computer Controlled

Post by JustinK »

Which type would you suggest for a beginner? Dobsonian's are huge and cheap. But, will I be able to see anything if I don't have a pretty hearty understanding of the night sky? Is it hard to track something once you have acquired it? With their vast size, they are the perfect deep space viewer, but doesn't' that make it even harder to keep the object in the eyepiece? Or, would it be better to get a "lesser" scope with a computerized mount that allows me to see things right away? I understand that I will need to be able to pick out some specific stars. THAT I can handle, but not much else I'm afraid.

I understand that you can get a computerized mount for the dob, but I am trying to keep things on a budget.
Wayne

Re: Dobsonian vs Computer Controlled

Post by Wayne »

More than a dozen years ago I bought my first telescope, an ETX-70 (a small beginner level computer controlled scope). I was delighted with it. I bought a similar one for my grandkids, but they never used it unless I set it up. When one of the grandkids won an 8" Orion Dob at Camping With the Stars, it saw constant use.

The computer controlled scope required a multi-step process to properly set it up. An error in alignment meant you started over. A bumped tripod meant you started over again. It takes seconds to set up the Dob and operation was intuitive; you aim it where you want it. I enjoyed the technical challenges of the computer scope, but I suspect most people are happiest starting with a Dob. Yes, the Dob does present an initial challenge if you do not know where anything is, but it was suprising how quickly the kids learned the skies. They started out with a couple of familiar places and then branched out. There are a number of excellent books that can help you; I would recommend Turn Left at Orion.

You will quickly learn how to keep an object in the field of view.

One of the MAS member benefits is access to the loaner scopes. When I was ready to move up to a larger scope, the loaner program helped me decide which type I wanted. See Loaner Equipment under Members on the MAS Home web page (http://www.mnastro.org/members/loaner-equipment/).
Wayne

Meade ETX-70
Vixen VMC200LDG
Astro-Tech AT72ED
Vixen Porta II mount
Meade LXD55 mount
Meade LXD75 mount
heinerv

Post by heinerv »

Another option to the loaner scope is the two Dobs at Cherry Grove. They are available on a first come first server basis. Also, at Cherry Grove are star map kits to help you get started. Before buying come to a few star parties and see the different types of scopes and what setup is involved.
heinerv

Post by heinerv »

The scopes at Cherry Grove are stored there permamently.
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

I'd recommend that you purchase the largest Dob that you can afford and can store and transport without great effort. If you're at all interested in deep-sky objects (globular clusters, nebulae, galaxies) the view in a smaller scope is disappointing. I own some "small" scopes (3-6 inches) but hardly ever use them; instead I usually use the biggest one (20"). As for tracking, there is the option of buying or building an equatorial platform for your Dob, which is a great improvement in my opinion. I have never owned a computer controlled scope and have little interest in them.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
defalkner

Post by defalkner »

Another option for a Dobsonian is to get one with Digital Setting Circles, so called "Push-To" because there are no axis drives. However, once you do the two star alignment DSS systems like Sky Commander will allow you to select an object and indicate how to move the scope to bring the object into view. It's just like a Go-To scope except you provide the "Go". There's no tracking but once you find the object it's pretty easy to keep it in view. If the scope get bumped or you step away for a long time the DSS system is still active and you just move the scope as indicated to re-acquire the object.

I currently have a 12-1/2 inch Truss Dob equipped with the Sky Commander system for sale in the MAS Market Place. I know I'm putting in a plug here but it really is a nice scope and provides exceptional views. It would be a great field scope for finding DSOs.
Clear skies!
Dave Falkner
10" Meade SNT
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 SCT
CGO Committee
MAS Secretary
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

On the other hand, if you want to learn the sky, a basic dob will allow you to do just that. Learn how to starhop, learn how to nudge the scope once in a while to follow objects, etc. Also lets you determine how serious you are about the hobby, and what you like looking at, before investing bucks. I own a couple small dobs (one is a great littletravel scope, the other is good around little kids because it's their size and fairly rugged) and a 10" dob that I got because it is about as heavy as I could manage and about as big as I could fit in my little car. Once I finish the Herschel 400 observing list (400 faint fuzzies), I will sell it because I have learned that I actually prefer looking at planets and I need a higher f-ratio scope for higher magnifications, and at those higher mags I want a clock drive to follow the object. If you aspire to astrophotography, you need to consider that too - AP has a whole 'nother set of needs.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

This is a great thread....

I'm in the same boat with Wayne. I started w/ a computer controlled scope which frustrated me no end because it was a low-end computer control which required a great deal of monkeying with to get it to work. My problem was that I simply wasn't patient enough to realize that in order to really enjoy observing the great heavens, it was going to take a little bit of time and a little bit of learning. It's much like sailing (I can imagine): If you want to learn how to sail, you don't buy a motor boat. But, those who sail are the ones who know the seas.

MY suggestion to you is to start with a pair of binoculars. Amazon is selling the Celestron 15X70 Sky Master for $61. They're not the finest built binoculars (you do get what you pay for) BUT, it's amazing how much you can see through them. Grab a decent star chart and perhaps the book Wayne suggested (Turn Left at Orion), and just give it a shot. You'll find out quickly whether you enjoy hunting for deep sky treasures or not. If you just enjoy looking at them. then you will want to stay away from dobs and save your money for a GOOD GOTO scope that will do all the work for you (they are out there). BUT, if you find that you're captivated by the hunt and the find (can you tell I'm prejudiced?), then a dob is the way to go. You can still buy that GOTO scope, but when it stops working due to loss of power (which, of course, never happens!) you'll still be able to observe: if you know where to look, you can always point it in the right direction.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
DivaBekki

Post by DivaBekki »

I have the Orion SkyQuest XT8 Dobsonian and I love it. I was worried at first because I didn't know the sky but with a planisphere and a clear sky it was surprisingly easy. It has also forced me to learn the sky better which is a skill in itself. It is fun when I have friends over and I can point things out to them. My husband has a computerized scope and he is always saying he wished he knew the sky/constellations better. I say start with an inexpensive Dob and learn the sky, then get a fancy computer scope later.
Rebecca Robinson

Telescopes:
Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dob
srupes

Post by srupes »

I just wanted to say that I started with a computer scope first. My reasoning was because I have small kids so I wanted something I could align and find things fairly quickly. Yes, I'm sure once I learned the sky I could have found things fast as well with a Dob. The only issues I had with mine was operator error. Now that I figured it out, it's been working great and setup time is really quick. I was also told once that regardless of what you get for your first scope, you may be looking at another shortly after. That is exactly whats happening to me. I love the scope I have but now have my eyes set on an 8 or 10" dob. Preferably a 10" since my current is 8.
Steve Ruples
Krontab

Post by Krontab »

I started with a table top Dob made by Celestron and the within a few months dished out for a 8" SCT on a computerized equitorial mount. I love the computerized mount for tracking objects and I also use it for astrophotography. All that said when I get home after work and only have a half an hour to look at the stars after my daughter goes to bed, I grab the little Dob. The Dob is ready to go like a pair of binoculars whereas the computerized mount is a bit of mental overload in its setup. Another option is a computerized push-to Dob mount. That seems like a good compromise as you don't have to engage the computer if you don't have a lot of time in a viewing session. You can effectively learn the sky with either but, the Dob increases your viewing nights and I firmly believe that time in the eyepiece is the most important thing in learning the sky. Also, as a side note the bigger the telescope is the less you will be likely to set it up on a whim. Make sure it can fit in your vehical and it is easy to move about. My little Dob can easily be thrown in the passenger seat of my car and is ready to go in 3 mins of prep. My astrophotography rig takes 45 mins to setup and align and requires 3 trips to and from my car.
Krontab (Kenneth Kerrick) living in Eagan, MN
Equipment in use: Celestron EdgeHD 8" OTA and a CGEM II, Nikon D500, ZWO ASI071MC-Cool, ZWO OAG, ZWO ASI120MM-Mini, Baader UFC, Stellarmate OS, StarSense Align, Celestron Cometron 7x50 Binoculars
Link to my astronomy notes and docs: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvxZZLWb5_rUiOgE7b0 ... w?e=MHkEKK
Astroimagaging is worse than a Black Hole, it consumes money as well as light!
ETruss

Post by ETruss »

Dick Jacobson wrote: I have never owned a computer controlled scope and have little interest in them.
Could you expand on the reasons for this?