Asteroid Day - June 30th

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
bhamil

Asteroid Day - June 30th

Post by bhamil »

There was an interesting article in the New York Times that I read today while flying home to the Twin Cities. The article is called "Agencies, Hoping to Deflect Comets and Asteroids, Step Up Earth Defense" Long title, but interesting article. Brian May, the astrophysicist who is a founding member and lead guitarist of the rock band Queen, is involved with Astroid Day. Personally, I had never heard of this day. Have any of you? Asteroid Day will be held on June 30th. The purpose of Asteroid Day is to help raise global awareness of doomsday rocks from outer space. June 30th is the anniversary date of the largest impact in recent history. June 30, 1908 a cosmic intruder toppled millions of trees in Siberia with a blast judged a thousand times more powerful than the nuclear bomb that leveled Hiroshima.
The article also describes how NASA and the National Nuclear Security Administration are doing collaboration. They have designed rocket interceptors and run supercomputer simulations to see if a nuclear blast could nudge a large asteroid off course.
I thought my fellow MAS members might want to check out this fascinating article.
FYI,
Brandon
Brandon Hamil
651-436-3888 (Cell)
--------------------------------------------
Former,Cherry Grove Observatory Committee
SCTs: CPC 800, CPC 1100, C14
Refractors: TeleVue NP101, TEC 140
Solar Scopes: Coronado 40mm PST, LUNT 100 DS
Canon 12x36 image stabilized Binoculars
100% visual observer