StarParty packing list

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

clayton

StarParty packing list

Post by clayton »

Any packing lists for going to a star party around the forums? Here is one of several around the web.
http://www.astronomy.com/community/from ... mate-guide

Ultimately it has to be one customized for you and your equipment. I have never had one but I need to put one together one.
Clayton Lindsey
Dave Venne

Re: StarParty packing list

Post by Dave Venne »

After forgetting important items too many times I use an Excel spreadsheet for packing. It lets me sort items according to purpose (imaging, camping gear, clothing, power cords and cables, and so on) some of which can vary from party to party. It also includes a checklist of things I need to do before leaving, which in my case is mostly charging electronic devices and power batteries. For each trip I print out what I need and check off items as they're packed into the car.

It's worked well for me the last couple of years, and it's nice to hit the road with confidence instead of spending the first hundred miles wondering what you forgot.
Enberg

Re: StarParty packing list

Post by Enberg »

I have a spreadsheet workbook with three sheets in it: Astro stuff, camping stuff, and food checklist. It gets modified for each trip - Camping With The Stars for a weekend is different than a trip to Hawaii for the Transit of Venus or a week at the Grand Canyon Star Party. The Astro sheet is probably the most stable as it has all the stuff I would need for any (road) trip to do outreach or to observe. I use the list more for planning, and then I review it after I have loaded the car. Also, the astro stuff is the most critical as everything else could be bought at a local store if I forget something.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas