SpaceX first stage return

Topics related to manned space missions

Moderator: clayton

heinerv

SpaceX first stage return

Post by heinerv »

If you haven't seen the video of SPACE's first stage returning to Cape Canaveral, check it out on YouTube. Note the excitement at their head quarters. This is a big step in space exploration. It also contrasts with NASA's current capabilities or lack of. I can remember when the first Surveyor landed on the moon in the 1960's. I knew then that we were headed to the moon. I think the return of the first stage ranks up there as an historical point. I may be too old to see how it all plays out but the next few years should be interesting.
Dick Jacobson

Re: SpaceX first stage return

Post by Dick Jacobson »

It's a great achievement, maybe the most important thing since Sputnik. It all depends on how much it costs to refurbish the first stage. The high cost of launch ($10,000 per pound to orbit) has made the Space Age very slow to take off. Things like this are too risky to be undertaken by today's cautious government agencies so it's good that there are a few bold billionaires out there.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
heinerv

Re: SpaceX first stage return

Post by heinerv »

Well they did it again. This time to the drone barge "Of course, I still love you", referencing the past fiery landings. You can see the replay at www.spacex.com. Note how young they are and the enthusiasm. One announcer had a tee shirt Ben H. would love. It was "Occupy Mars".