April 2016 BSIG Meeting

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

clayton

April 2016 BSIG Meeting

Post by clayton »

The April Meeting will be an "Introduction to Lunar Observing" by Clayton Lindsey
Time:
April 16, 2016 @ 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
2150 2nd St
White Bear Lake
MN 55110

We'll hit the introductory and highlights of observing our bright neighbor. There's an bonus BSIG observing session at Metcalf in the evening. Weather permitting, the plan is to meet out there around 7:00pm. The early highlight will be Mercury, which will be near greatest elongation (about 22 degrees) from the Sun that evening. The Moon will be a Waxing Gibbous ( about 80% lit) and will transit about 8:30pm. You'll get to apply some of your learning from early in the day.

Suresh asked that anyone interested in coming should e-mail (sureshks1@msn.com) or text him (612-910-0444) so he can keep them up to date on last minute plans in case the weather is bad.

Here is a short link with directions to Metcalf from the West Metro: https://goo.gl/maps/hbw2dbQyUgq
Clayton Lindsey
clayton

Re: April 2016 BSIG Meeting

Post by clayton »

Metcalf Party is on!

Date: Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 3:28 PM
Subject: RE: Metcalf Tomorrow Night 7pm

Hi guys,

The updated CSC for Metcalf looks a whole lot better now. See below. I'm planning on getting there at 7:00pm.

I'm always running a couple min late, so if someone can be there to open the gate for newbies, that'd be great!

As of now, I only know of one beginner, Walt Johnson, who said that he would be coming. He is a Rover...

The combo is <deleted> to get in.

I'm hoping to take some pics thru my ETX.

Maybe somebody will be nice and take us to Casby later to look at Jupiter, Mars and Saturn... (Steve?).

Suresh
Clayton Lindsey