LLCC June 10, nobody there but me

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

Dick Jacobson

LLCC June 10, nobody there but me

Post by Dick Jacobson »

I was surprised to find nobody at LLCC but me and my new 29" scope Friday night. It was a beautiful clear evening until 3:30 when the transparency went bad. Room 4 in Marcum House was open.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Dennis_Faith

Re: LLCC June 10, nobody there but me

Post by Dennis_Faith »

Hello,

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago the night of the Virgo venture. Wasn't there nearly as late. Quiet and serene. I was treated to a great aurora display, nice skies. I did feel the need to stay extra vigilant for the errant hungry bear that I felt was going to drop by at any moment. Thankfully the evening was uneventful and I didn't end up an hors d'oeuvre.

How is the 29" working? It seems as though single person setup is going well?
Dennis Faith
Homebuilt Scopes/ATM:
12.5" f/5 Walnut and Maple Dob - 2005
16" f/4.5 Cherry and Maple Dob - 2009
17.5" f/4.4 Walnut and Maple Dob (in progress)
Refigured more mirrors than I can recall.
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Dennis_Faith wrote:How is the 29" working? It seems as though single person setup is going well?
The 29" is working very well. I see a little astigmatism, don't know whether it is from the primary or secondary. Mechanics are very smooth and very little vibration. I've gotten the setup/takedown time below an hour. Now I can really see galaxies! I was hoping to compare it side-by-side with the 30" Obsession but didn't want to set it up by myself.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
wkocken

Post by wkocken »

I wish I'd gone out on Friday. It would have been better than what we had on Saturday. Several of us were in attendance on Saturday night. The forecast was marginal and that's how it turned out. The moon was a nuisance and transparency was pretty poor. What started as some thin clouds in the west became thicker clouds and eventually they covered most of the sky. We gave up at about 1AM.

Kudos to the LLCC committee. They've been improving the red path lights and they washed the mirrors on the 25" and 30" scopes. We had them both out last night and they were working well.

Bill
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Jcegla

Post by Jcegla »

I was at LLCC Friday night but being a new member it looked to me that it was a no go for using the site. I did not feel comfortable setting up on my own. I wish I had known that Dick was coming out. I went back to the cabin and setup there. It was a very nice night. The deer were everywhere on our way back to the lake.

Jim Cegla
Jim Cegla
Orion XT8i
LX200 8" f10
LX200 8" f6