Public Perseid Event?

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

mlfj4901

Public Perseid Event?

Post by mlfj4901 »

Is there any public viewing event during the Perseids? I believe the peak night is supposed to be Friday August 12th. I have a small group of people asking me if the MAS is doing anything.

I realize telescopes and meteors falling through our atmosphere really don't go together, but at the same time its a fun easy to spot space event.

-Maddy Love
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" Proverbs 26:11
I podcast on Trans & Atheism issues Showpage is www.trans-atheist.net
iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-m ... d743314884
Stitcher http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=40377&refid=stpr
or the podcatcher of your choice :)
merle

Re: Public Perseid Event?

Post by merle »

Maddy,

I typically don't schedule a star party for a meteor shower.

Reasons, in no particular order: The peak is usually during the week. Best viewing time is after midnight. Meteor showers don't require a telescope to observe, so there isn't a need to make the trip to the observatory… any dark site will do.

Also, I know it's coincidental, but the moon usually interferes with the shower. This year, evening viewing is hindered by the first quarter moon. The moon sets at 1:45 am the "night" of Aug 12-13, this actually works out well for viewing after midnight. Astronomical twilight begins at 4:20 am, giving you just over 2 1/2 hours of good dark sky to observe the shower.

All that being said, if a MAS member wants to use the observatory during the shower and open it up for public viewing they are free to do so.

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
darkskyjim

Post by darkskyjim »

hello. I agree it can be hard to do public events for these showers, but I will never
forget the last time Swift Tuttle came through we had a public event in Houston, Tx
that had a hundred people show up to! Shows the power of media coverage ;)
jim
Modified Z12 with Pegasus Optics
F5 mirror and custom base
10x50 Vixen binocular
7x50 Celestron Pro binocular
7x35 Mayflower binocular
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

All that being said, if a MAS member wants to use the observatory during the shower and open it up for public viewing they are free to do so.

Challenge Accepted!

Perseid Party at Eagle Lake
August 11, 9:00 PM to August 12, 5:00 AM
The peak will be the morning of the 12th.

The Moon will set around midnight, so that won't be a bother. At least S. Casby will be open until late. Onan, if there is a demand (and help.)

According to NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke, there will be in "outburst" in 2016, which means they'll appear at double the usual rates.

Come on, take Friday off and pull an all-nighter! Remember those? It will be just like back in the day, but with nothing to study. There won't even be an exam waiting for you in the morning, just a lovely, restorative sleep while the rest of the world mourns its loss.

Scene: Friday morning, at AnyCompany, USA
"Where's Bill?" asks Megan from the copy room.
"Sleeping it off" replies Mike from accounting.
"Oooo... Shots?"
"Nope. Meteors."
"Damn! That man is a god."

Come on, people... Immortality awaits!

(Oh, and dibs on Baby Bear, north bunk. I don't intend to drive away from this one.)
merle

Post by merle »

Ron, your'e the man!!!

With the peak being the 11th-12th, that makes the moon less of a problem. I may have to bring the camera out and call in "sick" that Friday…

Thanks
Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Lilah

Post by Lilah »

Hmmm, I just might come out too.
Make it so,

Lilah Blinkman
MAS Outreach Coordinator
ELO Program Coordinator
markjob

Post by markjob »

Ron what are you doing calling the clouds? Oh wait I was thinking of Jerry, he is the cloud whisperer. An ALL nighter, I haven't done it since the Nebraska Star Party in 2013..... Almost drove in the ditch on the way back to the camp ground. Maybe because the co-pilot Dave Falkner was pointing out the rise of Mercury in those pre-dawn hours. Those were the days. A sick day, ummmmmm!

Thanks for the motivation RON!
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

OK. Sorry, folks. It's just not happening.

Here is the chart for 1:00. Storms to the south are going to keep us cloudy (dark gray.) It MIGHT clear by 3:00, but we're not going to hang around for 6 hours, waiting for that to happen.

Tonight's Public Perseid Party is canceled.

Try Metcalf tomorrow night. Should be better weather and still pretty good activity.
Attachments
Sky forecast for 0100.gif
Sky forecast for 0100.gif (107.35 KiB) Viewed 954 times