My talk at our club meeting Thursday, June 1st

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

bhamil

My talk at our club meeting Thursday, June 1st

Post by bhamil »

This upcoming Thursday night I will be presenting "The Continued Adventures of the Traveling Astronomer."

Several of you have seen me present in the past. However, this will be mostly brand new content highlighting astronomy travel adventures that I would like to encourage all of you to replicate on your own. Candidly, I have so much content that I could do 4 separate one-hour presentations without repeating myself. In addition, throughout my speech I plan to emphasize best practices that I have seen with other clubs and at various observing facilities.

I consider it a pure joy and privilege to present to our club. As some of you know, this Traveling Astronomer talk has begun to take on a life of its own. In fact, several clubs around the country have had me give this presentation for them. When speaking to a non-MAS club, I always end my talk by showing them our club's promotional video and then I promote our upcoming ALCON 2018. We have much to be proud of!

Hope to see many of your there on Thursday night!

Brandon
The Traveling Astronomer
Brandon Hamil
651-436-3888 (Cell)
--------------------------------------------
Former,Cherry Grove Observatory Committee
SCTs: CPC 800, CPC 1100, C14
Refractors: TeleVue NP101, TEC 140
Solar Scopes: Coronado 40mm PST, LUNT 100 DS
Canon 12x36 image stabilized Binoculars
100% visual observer
tugger

Re: My talk at our club meeting Thursday, June 1st

Post by tugger »

Thank you for putting together at least 197 slides of material regarding your trips! I knew that you travelled for work and snuck in Astronomy events when you could, but I had NO idea the amount of sites you've been too. Granted, you've been a member for much longer than me, but I still had absolutely no idea you have been around to that many sites.

It was interesting to see how other clubs have their sites set up - I thought the dual observatories and amphitheatre in the middle was a different way of approaching a site! It was also funny to hear some of the clubs HATE each other (maybe Houston if I remember correctly?) yet they have the same goal of educating the public!

Would it look funny if you were to give another presentation at ALCON since we're hosting it?
Huggy

Post by Huggy »

Brandon,

I enjoyed your lecture, and would like to see you compose a list of "if your in this state, don't miss this" list. Maybe it can be a new AL list, visit X number of sites that have had significance in Astronmy or out reach. That being said, I really can't just ignor the politics you injected during your lecture. Unfortunately I don't see eye to eye with you. I'm not sure how the club is going deal with your concerns, but the club, and yourself, needs to find a better method of communication moving forward. Not sure what that is, but I think everyone felt uneasy, and that's not what we are all about.
Last edited by Huggy on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
LLCC Committee Chair
Key Holder - All
Primary gear: :D
20" F4 DOB Galaxy Mirror
C-11 Hyperstar and CGX-L
ZWO ASIair Pro 294C cooled
25x100 Bino
kenhugill@comcast.net
clayton

Post by clayton »

--- This topic is Locked---
Multiple Posts following this have been moderated. Meaning as a Board Administrator I have moved the posts to a holding tank area of the forum until they can be reviewed by the board. I wear multiple hats like many of us in our organization and in my capacity as a Forum Moderator the language in the posts were spiraling off topic and and in my opinion required moderation as allowed in the usage agreement of these forums.
Clayton Lindsey
merle

Post by merle »

Thank you Clayton
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com