DiscMount

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Kurt A. Casby

DiscMount

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

Hi all,

I am contemplating getting a 'DiscMount' alt/az mount to use with a couple of refractors. Everything I can find on the web to read seems to be positive, but I was wondering if anyone in the M. A. S. has any personal experience using one.

Thanks,
Kurt
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

Disk mount? Isn't that basicly a dob?
Kurt A. Casby

Post by Kurt A. Casby »

A Dob?, isn't that basically an Alt/Az mount?
Dave Olmstead

Re: DiscMount

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Kurt A. Casby wrote:Hi all,

I am contemplating getting a 'DiscMount' alt/az mount to use with a couple of refractors. Everything I can find on the web to read seems to be positive, but I was wondering if anyone in the M. A. S. has any personal experience using one.

Thanks,
Kurt
Howdy, Kurt,

Well, I don't have any experience with the DiscMount, but I have looked at this mount with interest for a while now.

First off it is a beautiful, machined piece of hardware. From the website, it appears to be able to carry quite a load, and the encoders, if one is interested, are nicely integrated into the mount. I like the fact that you can get longer spreader bars to widen the stance of the tripod too. There is no apparent counter balance used so for those using the mount for a scope that has some weight the wider tripod stance looks reassuring. The mount is pretty pricey for an alt/az, however.

Let us know if you get one. I for one would like to check it out and see how stable it is and how well it works.
David Olmstead
One of the Scope Wranglers
david@davidolmstead.com