July B-SIG -- Saturday July 8th at Metcalf

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

July B-SIG -- Saturday July 8th at Metcalf

Post by Sureshks »

The next MAS Beginners-SIG observing session is scheduled for this Saturday night July 8th at 8:00pm at the Metcalf Nature Center near Afton (directions are below).

There is no charge, and all are welcome to join us!! The purpose is to help beginners learn the night sky, and how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions, and to show you celestial objects.

We typically get about 40-60 people attending these events, and there will be telescopes set up of all shapes and sizes!

We'll have enough telescopes and observing gear on hand for everyone to look through. But if you have a telescope or binoculars -- bring them!! The more the merrier.

And if you've got a telescope you need help with, bring it with you and we'd be happy to show you how to set up and use it!

The Moon will be Full this night, but weather permitting, we will still be able to view Jupiter, Saturn, the Virgo/Leo/Ursa Major Galaxy Clusters and the Summer Milky Way!

If you'd like to join us, please bring a lawn chair or blanket. Also bring a snack or beverage to share. Last month, we had a yummy assortment of goodies for everyone to sample -- it made for a really fun night!

Right now, the forecast for Saturday night looks very good -- clear skies, 83F/64F and no rain... let's hope it stays that way!

Directions to Metcalf: (see this Google Maps link for directions to Metcalf -- it's from the West metro but it works for the the East too): https://goo.gl/maps/hbw2dbQyUgq)

Head east from St. Paul along Hwy. 94. About four miles east of the I-694 / I-494 crossing is Minnesota State Highway 95, also known as Manning Avenue (exit 253). Turn south (right turn) and then almost immediately turn left onto the frontage road (Hudson Road S). Continue east on the frontage road for about one and one-half miles. Turn right onto Indian Trail, checking the odometer as you turn. Follow Indian Trail south for just about one and one-tenth miles, where you’ll see an unmarked chain-link gate on the right (west side of the road), opening onto a dirt driveway with slight up-slope. This is the the entrance to Metcalf.

If you haven't been to Metcalf, it can be little difficult to find the entrance in the dark, so please try to arrive with some daylight left...

The Metcalf observing site is located 14 miles east of downtown St. Paul. If you've got a GPS unit, here are the precise coordinates: Latitude: 44.93734 (North) / Longitude: 92.82157 (West)

If you're planning to come, please e-mail me at sureshks1@msn.com so I can keep you updated on any plan changes. I will check the weather forecast on Thursday. If the forecast for this Saturday turns cloudy, I may decide to switch to the following weekend.

If so, I will send out an e-mail to interested persons, and will also update this thread on the B-SIG Forum page...

We hope to see you this Saturday night!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
mpcookson

Re: July B-SIG -- Saturday July 8th at Metcalf

Post by mpcookson »

We had a great time out there this Saturday! Thanks for allowing non-members to participate! We really enjoyed seeing Jupiter, if only for a few seconds, and staring at Saturn and the moon and other things. Too bad the go-to's batteries died so quickly (but a power pack is on order!). We look forward to seeing everyone again next month!

Mark & Sara
Sureshks

Re: July B-SIG -- Saturday July 8th at Metcalf

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Mark,

It was great meeting both of you on Saturday. It sure was a fun evening!!

We'll see you both again in August.

FYI - I may need to move the date of the next BSIG session to 8/11, as I'll be out of town on 8/05. Please keep an eye on the Forum.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST