CGO tonight 9/29

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

Almericus

CGO tonight 9/29

Post by Almericus »

The forecast looks good so my wife, our son, and I will be down there starting the AL's Messier observing program.
Brent Emery
10" Meade Starfinder Dob.
8" SCT/Advanced VX eq.
Enberg

Re: CGO tonight 9/29

Post by Enberg »

You can also plan on starting the Lunar program......I will be down there also, as soon as I can get there after work.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas
TrenaJ

Post by TrenaJ »

I am thinking of going as well as it will be pretty clear. Lunar and Messier is on my list to start. See ya there.
Trena Johnson
MAS President 2023-2024
CGO Chairperson
JJC/CGO/ELO/LLCC Keyholder

AstroSky 14in f/4.9 Truss Dob
Orion StarSeeker IV 150mm GoTo Reflector
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Good plan! Weather looking kinda bad for ELO tomorrow, AGAIN.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Enberg

Post by Enberg »

We had a fantastic impromptu star party at Cherry Grove last night. There were 6 scopes on the field, and a pair of folks in the observatory as well. My primary target was the moon, and I am working on the AL Lunar Observing club which is turning out to be a pretty easy program if you have high magnification to sort out which crater is which......

The field emptied out at about 12:30 am as CGO's legendary dew machine was in high gear. When the temperature dropped, the dew practically rained down. Without dew heaters, it became impossible to keep going. My dew heaters were working well, but I always find it a little creepy with noone else there. So when the others pulled out I decided to turn in. I was just starting to pack up when another car pulled in (1am). It was Ray, who had late night targets and wanted the moon to set first. So, I stayed for another two hours. After the moon set, the sky conditions were superb. I managed to starhop to some targets that are below -30 degrees, in the constellation Fornax. I picked off a bunch of double stars in Eridanus and Orion. But about 3am I switched to some higher targets, and with the telescope "mouth up", my secondary dewed up and that was it. Night over.
Master Observer
Orion XT10 dob
Orion StarBlast 4.5" f4 on a Dwarfstar alt-az mount
Vortex 10 x 56 binocs
Orion 150mm f12 MakCas