Nov. BSIG

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

Nov. BSIG

Post by Sureshks »

Hi peeps,

Sadly, the weather does not seem to want to cooperate for a final observing BSIG at Metcalf this upcoming weekend. I'm seeing temps of 40F with freezing rain both Fri/Sat nights... brrr!

However, I wanted to alert you to two BSIG presentations coming up in November and December...

November BSIG:

Topic: Astronomical League (AL) Programs for Beginners
Presenters: Nancy Rauschenberg and Jerry Jones
When: Saturday November 18th 10:00am - 12:00pm
4560 Victoria St N, Shoreview, MN 55126
Phone: (651) 724-6006

AL Programs are a great way to get in to observational or imaging astronomy. The Astronomical League has provided lists that cater to all levels of experience, equipment and location (even urban lists!). I won't steal their thunder, but here's a link to the entire list of AL Programs to whet your appetite: https://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs ... clubs.html

This is actually great timing too, as Nancy and Jerry will describe some of the best/most popular lists targeted for beginners... and it gives people time to research the ones that they want to try and prepare over the coming winter.

December BSIG:

Topic: Imaging for Beginners
Presenters: Dave Venne
When: Saturday December 9th 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Full Meeting Room
7001 York Ave S, Edina, MN 55435
Phone: (612) 543-5900

Imaging is a real hot topic these days, as the technology & equipment has improved greatly and costs have become more manageable. It's pulling in new members who are just interested in taking pictures of the night sky, and it's also interesting people (like me!) who have strictly been observers to-date and don't have a clue as to all this imaging stuff.

We're lucky to have gotten Dave, who is one of our club's pre-eminent imagers, to give us the basics on what imaging is, how to get started, and some techniques for processing/finishing our images.

Here's Dave's AstroBin page to see some of his work (though I'm not sure if it's accessible to people who haven't opened an AstroBin account): http://www.astrobin.com/users/davevenne/

These are both really good topics for beginners, and really all amateur astronomers. I hope that you can make it!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST