Space.com ... nice try.

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
RussD

Space.com ... nice try.

Post by RussD »

Get a load of this....it starts out really promising.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... rsery.html

Russ
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

From the referenced article:
Perhaps the most famous nursery is the one that holds up Orion’s pants. The Orion Nebula forms the buckle in Orion’s belt and sits about 1,500 light years away.
a) I've looked through my library's star charts and constellation books and can't find a single drawing showing Orion wearing a pair of Dockers.

b) Given the location of the Orion Nebula, should we infer that he wears his belt just above his knees?

:roll:
Kevin Seal

Post by Kevin Seal »

"b) Given the location of the Orion Nebula, should we infer that he wears his belt just above his knees?"

Well, its been confirmed. Orion was not a hunter, but actually a big time rapper!

:wink:
RussD

Correction

Post by RussD »

I emailed the author of the story and he made the correction. He said that the map he used as a reference made it look like the nebula was in the belt. Hmmm. Apparently he was holding the map sideways? It now reads...

"Perhaps the most famous nursery is the one that dangles just below Orion's belt. The Orion Nebula sparkles like a jewel in Orion's sword, which hangs from his belt. "

I would be splitting hairs with the guy now if I pointed out that the Orion Nebula itself does not exactly sparkle like a jewel.

I dont think this guy has ever seen the Orion Nebula.

Russ
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Re: Correction

Post by Jon Hickman »

RussD wrote: I dont think this guy has ever seen the Orion Nebula.
Sure he has! It's so obvious sparkling there like a jeweled buckle on the armpit of the giant.....or something like that maybe. It is in the sky at night, right?

:lol:
Jon Hickman
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

Jon,

As experienced reporters we should be more appreciative of this fellows use of the english language to paint mind pictures.

Boggling as they might be.
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

rbubany wrote:Jon,

As experienced reporters we should be more appreciative of this fellows use of the english language to paint mind pictures.
I dunno...I'm thinking Newsweek.....
Jon Hickman