April B-SIG Observing Session - Saturday April 28th - 7:00pm - Eagle Lake Observatory

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

April B-SIG Observing Session - Saturday April 28th - 7:00pm - Eagle Lake Observatory

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

The first B-SIG Observing session of 2018 is scheduled for Sat. April 28th, and has been moved to Eagle Lake Observatory in Baylor Regional Park near Norwood, MN.

With the later ending to winter this year, the ground at Metcalf Nature Center will remain wet for several more weeks. We did not want to risk a muddy and unpleasant evening, so we made the decision to move the first observing session of the year to Eagle Lake Observatory (ELO). ELO has better general field conditions, and a large concrete section for B-SIG members to put their telescopes on.

All are welcome to B-SIG events!! You do not need to be an MAS member to attend. The MAS does not charge for attending a B-SIG event. However, when entering ELO, Carver Parks does charge a $5 per vehicle fee to enter the park.

The purpose of B-SIG observing sessions is to help beginners with learning the night sky and to also with improve observing skills such as star hopping, map reading and understanding constellations. We'll also help you learn how to locate the visible planets, as well as deep sky objects such as galaxies, clusters and nebulae, and to understand better what you are seeing thru the eyepiece. Another goal of these sessions is to help beginners learn how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions, and to assist where needed. We've also seen plenty of instances of beginners helping beginners too, and they begin to form their own sub-groups where they learn at their own paces. Please note that if you do not own a telescope, no worries!! Plenty will be on hand for you to see and look thru!!

These are family events, and children are welcome and encouraged to attend!! We normally expect about 40-60 people at our B-SIG observing events, at all levels of knowledge and experience. As mentioned, we'll have enough telescopes and binoculars on hand for everyone to look through, but if you have some equipment -- bring it!! The more the merrier.

The Moon will be near Full on April 28th, but weather permitting, we will still view Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, members of various galaxy clusters, as well as open/globular star and nebulae embedded in the Summer Milky Way!! There's always plenty to see in the night sky...

Directions to Eagle Lake Observatory: https://goo.gl/maps/QR3rxQYrn4k

I normally take 212W past Eden Prairie, go about 26 miles to County Road 33 in Norwood/Young America. Go north 2.5 miles on CR 33 to the entrance to Baylor Regional Park. Turn right into the park and pay the $5 per vehicle entrance fee at the gate. Then proceed directly up the hill to Eagle Lake Observatory and the parking lot.

If you've got a GPS unit, here are the precise coordinates: Latitude: 44.8103 (North) / Longitude: 93.9397 (West)

If you're planning to come, please respond here, or e-mail me at sureshks1@msn.com so I can keep you updated on any changes due to weather, etc. I will be watching the weather forecast that week, and will give the final Go/No-Go around 3pm that afternoon. If the earlier forecasts look unremittingly cloudy for Sat. night, I may decide a day or so beforehand to switch this to the previous Friday, April 27th, if the ELO grounds remain available. So please let me know if you're coming...

Finally, if you're coming, please bring a lawn chair and/or blanket. Also bring a snack or non-alcoholic beverage to share. It adds to the fun, relaxed night when we have a yummy assortment of goodies on hand for everyone to sample!!

We hope to see you for the first B-SIG Observing Session of 2018!!!

Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG Coordinator
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
rockpalm

Re: April B-SIG Observing Session - Saturday April 28th - 7:00pm - Eagle Lake Observatory

Post by rockpalm »

Hey Suresh, I am hoping to drag myself and one or two of my kids out to Eagle Lake for this B-SIG. If you need any help, I am a key holder.
Do we ever organize meteor shower observing sessions? We got this request looking mostly for recommended dark sky locations for viewing the Lyrids later this month from Lianna Matt with the Minnesota Monthly travel blog: "I was thinking of doing a short guide on how to see the Lyrid meteor shower. Most sources say to watch the peak just before dawn on the 22nd, but I was wondering if you there was anyone I could talk to about where might be a good place to watch, what to look for, etc."
Sureshks

Re: April B-SIG Observing Session - Saturday April 28th - 7:00pm - Eagle Lake Observatory

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Rob,

We host the August B-SIG around the Perseid meteor shower, which will peak on Aug. 11th. We'll be at Metcalf all night that night... and it's New Moon this year!

I'm not an expert on the Lyrid meteor shower, but I found this info online that might be of some help. Looks like the Lyrids will run from Apr. 16-25, with the peak expected on the 22nd. Expectations are for about 10-20 meteors per hour in the morning sky.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential ... eor-shower

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

Just a reminder that the first B-SIG observing session of 2018 is scheduled for this Saturday Apr. 28th at 7:00pm at Eagle Lake Observatory, inside of Baylor Regional Park near Norwood.

The weather forecast looks good so far for Saturday evening... mainly clear and temps in the upper 50s!

We'll have several telescopes set up to look thru. But if you've got one, bring it along! If you don't know how to set it up or use it, we can help!

These events are designed to help beginners with learning the night sky, and also with setting up and using a telescope.

If you're planning to come, bring a chair or blanket and perhaps an extra pullover, in case it gets chilly later.

The Moon will be near Full. However, we'll still be able to view Venus, some galaxy clusters and objects in the summer Milky Way. Later on, Jupiter will rise too!

If the weather changes, I'll plan on updating this thread on Saturday afternoon.

We hope you can make it!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

merle

Post by merle »

I stopped by ELO today and both the upper and lower observing plazas are snow free and look very good. The driveway has also firmed up from the condition it was in during Astronomy Day. There shouldn't be any issues with loading and unloading scopes using the driveway. The "grass" however is still very soft, so as always, don't drive on the grass.

Thanks
Merle
-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Sounds good. Thanks for the update!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everybody,

I just took a look at Saturday night's weather forecasts for Eagle Lake Observatory on ClearSkyChart, ClearOutside and NOAA. They all agree that Saturday night looks fantastic for observing. I'm going to make the call early....

Saturday night's B-SIG Observing Night at Eagle Lake Observatory is A GO!!!!!

We hope to see you there!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

merle

Post by merle »

ELO BSIG pictures
-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Merle,

Thanks for posting. By our rough count we think that ultimately about 30-35 people came that night, many after these pics were taken.

We had a great time! Lots of new faces, with new and old telescopes. Quite a mix. Jupiter stole the show. The GRS was perfectly placed around 10pm. We were able to view festoons and ovals as it rose higher later. Despite the strong Moonlight, we were able to also view some deep sky objects -- M13, M92, M44, M35, M65, M66.

One couple brought along what they said was a Meade refractor from the 1960s, still in very good condition. It didn't have any markings on it.

Another couple that had a Celestron NexStar 6" that they said was a couple years old. It still had the original wrappings on it! Steve B. got it up and running for the first time... they were quite excited.

A new MAS member had one of the club's 8" loaner scopes. He spent much of the night traversing Gemini and Auriga.

Valts brought along his "new" 77 yr old Sky Scope. He stripped off the paint and the brass now gleams. Images were quite good too!

All in all, a very nice night!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm