June B-SIG Observing Events -- Friday June 29th -- 8:00pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

June B-SIG Observing Events -- Friday June 29th -- 8:00pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

The June B-SIG event will be on Friday night June 29th, at the Metcalf Nature Center. It will start at 8:00pm (sunset is at 9:04pm).

There is no charge, and anyone is welcome to join us!! The purpose is to help beginners learn the night sky, and how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions, and to show you celestial objects thru their telescopes.

We typically have 40-60 attendees, with telescopes of all shapes and sizes! We'll have enough telescopes and observing gear on hand for everyone to look through. But if you have a telescope or binoculars -- bring them!! The more the merrier. And if you've got a telescope you need help with, bring it with you and we'd be happy to help you learn how to set it up and use it!

The Moon will be 93% illuminated, nearly Full. However, we will still have plenty of objects to view. Jupiter, Saturn and Mars will each be very well placed for viewing. Mars will be just four weeks away from it's closest approach to the Earth since 2003! It is already big and bright in the southeastern sky just before midnight. The Virgo/Como galaxy clusters and Summer Milky Way will also in good viewing position, albeit with the bright Moon in the sky.

If you'd like to join us, please bring a lawn chair or blanket. Also bring a snack or beverage to share. We usually have a yummy assortment of goodies for everyone to sample at BSIGs events -- it makes for a really fun night!

Directions to Metcalf: (see this Google Maps link for directions to Metcalf -- it's from the West metro but it works for the the East too): https://goo.gl/maps/hbw2dbQyUgq

Head east from St. Paul along Hwy. 94. About four miles east of the I-694 / I-494 crossing is Minnesota State Highway 95, also known as Manning Avenue (exit 253). Turn south (right turn) and then almost immediately turn left onto the frontage road (Hudson Road S). Continue east on the frontage road for about one and one-half miles. Turn right onto Indian Trail, checking the odometer as you turn. Follow Indian Trail south for just about one and one-tenth miles, where you’ll see an unmarked chain-link gate on the right (west side of the road), opening onto a dirt driveway with slight up-slope. This is the the entrance to Metcalf.

If you haven't been to Metcalf, it can be little difficult to find the entrance in the dark, so please try to arrive with some daylight left...

The Metcalf observing site is located 14 miles east of downtown St. Paul. If you've got a GPS unit, here are the precise coordinates: Latitude: 44.93734 (North) / Longitude: 92.82157 (West)

If you're planning to come, please e-mail me at sureshks1@msn.com so I can keep you updated on any weather-related changes.

As of now, the long range weather forecast calls for a warm night, around 80F with a chance for rain. I will update this thread by 3pm Friday with the Go / No-Go decision. If the weather looks bad for 6/30, we may need to move this up a night to Friday 6/29.

We hope to see you there!!

Suresh Sreenivasan
Cell: 612-910-0444
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Sureshks

Re: June B-SIG Observing Events -- Friday June 29th -- 8:00pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

I have decided to move this month's B-SIG observing session to Friday night June 29th. It will still be at the Metcalf Nature Center.

The weather forecasts for Saturday night do not look good for observing. Most are calling for an 80% chance of rain.

Friday night looks better on the majority of the weather forecasts until about 1am or so.

Please plan on arriving at 8pm. Let me know if you have any questions.

Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG Coordinator
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Almericus

Re: June B-SIG Observing Events -- Friday June 29th -- 8:00pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by Almericus »

Laura, Dylan, and I will be there tonight with our telescopes.
Brent Emery
10" Meade Starfinder Dob.
8" SCT/Advanced VX eq.
setnes

Post by setnes »

The sky forecast is actually still looking pretty good tonight. Hopefully that means we'll get some good planet viewing in.

Remember to stay hydrated today. Bring some water tonight.

Clear Sky Chart

Clear Outside

NOAA Graph

Astrospheric

Dark Sky Maps
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

I will be there.
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope