"The TYCHOS" Lecture August 23, 2018

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
SEmert

"The TYCHOS" Lecture August 23, 2018

Post by SEmert »

Those of you who attended ALCON may have noticed the table of Simon Shack, author of a different model of the Solar system, he calls "The TYCHOS" model. He is lecturing on his mathematical model Thursday evening, August 23rd, 2018, at 6:30 PM. It will be located in room 110 of the Tate Hall of Physics on the U of M campus, 116 Church St. SE, Minneapolis. He notes that Q&A follows the presentation, and coffee and gluten-free vegan refreshments will be provided. Attendance is free, and there is no reservation required.

Now, I must state that in no way am I endorsing his model (I am still firmly convinced the Copernican/Keplerian model of the Solar system works well, as evident by NASA's and ESA's ability to successfully navigate the Solar system with the various space probes), but the lecture may be interesting... especially if some U of M research astronomers/physicists and/or grad students attend...
TYCHOS_Lecture_8-23-18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SEmert on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Deane Clark

Re: "The TYCHOS" Lecture August 23, 2018

Post by Deane Clark »

His diagram reminds me of Ptolemy’s system, with epicycles, which worked pretty well until we had good enough measurements to show it didn’t.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

There are similarities, although he doesn't use epicycles. He contends that the orbits of the major planets are all circular (dwarf planets and asteroids are elliptical). That extra orbit with Earth on one side of it is a representation of his theory that the precession of the equinoxes over the approximately 26,000 year period (he states it is 25,344 years) is not due to a wobble of Earth's axial tilt over time, but rather something he calls the "PVP" orbit (Polaris-Vega-Polaris, for the stars the Earth's north pole points to at two opposite points of its precession). With the size of this orbit and the ~ 26000 year period his theory is that the Earth, which is the otherwise stationary center of the Solar system, has a motion of approximately 1 MPH. He originally created his model with this "PVP orbit" inclined to the ecliptic at Earth's inclination of 23.5 degrees, but since then has modified his model to have the "PVP orbit" in line with the ecliptic.

The turnout for the lecture last night was disappointingly light. One U of M student (major in communications, not physics), four other people, then Dave and myself from the MAS accompanied by my daughter and one of her friends. Not enough that I could stay back and passively listen to the Q&A discussion.
Steve Emert
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

So, is his earth flat, too?
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
tugger

Post by tugger »

This dude is a crackpot.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Yeah, maybe we should say the turnout was comfortingly light.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

LOL. No, at least his Earth is spherical.

His approach is entirely mathematical, based on historical observations and measurements. To me, the error of his approach is that instead of taking the heliocentric model as it is and working within that framework to come up with a solution to his perceived gaps or inconsistencies, he throws out the standard heliocentric model and replaces it with his own, wedging in several theories that explain the observations, but at the same time ignoring the other physics that corroborates and validates the standard heliocentric model using Kepler’s laws of planetary motion.

He also basically ignores gravity. That is why he makes the Solar system out to be a "binary" system (or at least a "two body system"), with the two components of the binary system being the Sun and Mars. Part of his reasoning as to why those two particular bodies is a comparison with the Sirius double star system. He says that the ratio of the sizes of Sirius A and Sirius B is the same ratio as the sizes of the Sun and Mars. Size, not mass.
Last edited by SEmert on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Emert
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

That seems to be a big part of the problem with the flat earthers, they don’t trust any measurements or physics they didn’t come up with (or confirm) themselves. They’re just skeptics to the point of extreme paranoia.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
MandelbrotMermaid

Post by MandelbrotMermaid »

I'm glad someone went. I was planning to go, then ended up fighting a sore throat that night.
I got into a discussion with him at another vendor's table (about Brahe of course, who I've always found a fascinating character) during the ALCON conference, and then he ended up jabbering at me at his own table once I reached it. Given his mathematical bent, and thinking I might write something for Skeptical Inquirer or another magazine, I decided not to dismiss him outright and followed his argument until I began to roll my eyes. You have to pay money and join his website even for a review copy. I asked if he wrote any peer-reviewed articles on this, but no, he only self-published his book (and that's familiar).There is someone of the same name who is a 9-11 conspiracy theorist. Oh, dear. My BF asked me if he was even worth debunking. Good point; I'd rather raise the profile of real science.