Winter Observing

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Scooter

Winter Observing

Post by Scooter »

I was wandering if the observing sites are open to Winter? If not, does anybody have any idea for relatively dark sky for winter?
Deane Clark

Re: Winter Observing

Post by Deane Clark »

Cherry Grove and Eagle Lake Observatories are available to members any time. The biggest issue in winter is whether there is too much snow to access them. Frequently, Cherry Grove cannot be accessed by vehicle in the winter due to the roadside snow piles. At ELO (Baylor Regional Park), the park roads are plowed by the county, but areas around the observatories themselves usually have to be hand shoveled by members. Since we do have occasional outreach and other events at ELO in the winter, the shoveling gets done from time to time. The observing plaza in front of Onan won’t necessarily be cleared at any given time. If not, you can always set up in a parking lot.

Of course, you won’t be able to access the buildings themselves unless you are a keyholder, or you attend with one. Also, Baylor Park has an automatic gate which closes at 10 pm. You can get out after that by pulling up near it, and it will open for you (keep in mind it opens toward you on the way out).
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org