Stellarium

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Scooter

Stellarium

Post by Scooter »

Did anybody else have any problems with stellarium? More specifically, did anybody experience it shutting down your computer?
StefanPW

Re: Stellarium

Post by StefanPW »

Not in my experience, does it cause a BSOD? (Blue Screen Of Death?), how much RAM does your computer have? Does it happen right away or only after doing certain things in the software?
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

No, Stellarium works fine for me, both on a very old (7 years) i5 running Windows 7 and a newer i7 running Windows 10. I remember it was painfully slow on an old Dell that didn't have a very good graphics card, but I don't recall it ever causing hangs or BSOD's. Seems to me that it doesn't need a huge amount of main memory. Even 2GB or 4 GB should be fine. Did you download the latest "fully tested" version, or perhaps the beta version?
Last edited by SEmert on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I think it does cause the blue screen of death. But I do have to push the power button to turn it back. However, I did download the 64 bit version.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Are you running a 64 bit OS?
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The software says I am but I'll try the other version.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

The only issues I have had with Stellarium was it locking up my mini fanless PC mounted on the telescope when used with SGP. The system only has 4gb of RAM so it is on the low side for sure, but it has never created the BSOD. I normally open task manager and end the process. I can use Stellarium or SGP on their own with no issues at all. (When connecting remotely to the PC)

How much RAM is installed on the PC?