MAS Events in SkySafari

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

Deane Clark

MAS Events in SkySafari

Post by Deane Clark »

I just found this out in a Night Sky Network newsletter email.

Did you know your SkySafari app shows MAS events? Just open the help menu and select Local Astronomy Events.

Apparently it picks the events up from the Night Sky Network web site. I recently added all of our 2019 public events at ELO as well as the MAS monthly meetings to the site.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Dick Jacobson

Re: MAS Events in SkySafari

Post by Dick Jacobson »

It doesn't seem to work for me. I'm in Cottage Grove. It doesn't show any local events. I have just the free edition of Sky Safari on Android.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
MaryW_MN

Post by MaryW_MN »

How can a member subscribe to the Night Sky Network newsletter? I just checked out their website and don't see a newsletter signup button (but I am only on my first cup of coffee...).
Mary A. Williams
White Bear Lake, MN

Oberwerk 9x60 LW Binoculars
Celestron 130SLT
Orion SkyQuest XT10 Dob
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Dick Jacobson wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:43 am It doesn't seem to work for me. I'm in Cottage Grove. It doesn't show any local events. I have just the free edition of Sky Safari on Android.
I tried it using SkySafari 5 Plus on my iPhone and iPad. I don’t think I did anything special to get it to download updated data. I do have Background App Refresh turned on.
Is your device set to allow the app to know your location (by means other than GPS)? On my devices I have it set to allow this when the app is in use. On iOS, this is set under Settings, Privacy, Location Services.
MaryW_MN wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 am How can a member subscribe to the Night Sky Network newsletter? I just checked out their website and don't see a newsletter signup button (but I am only on my first cup of coffee...).
I don’t know if there is a way to sign up just for their emails. From what I can tell, the NSN is a network of astronomy clubs and organizations who do outreach, not something an individual would typically join. Each club can have one or more coordinators. The MAS currently has 4 coordinators who can update club info and events and log completed events for credit toward free outreach materials.
Last edited by Deane Clark on Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

I am subscribed to Night Sky Networks and I get lots of updates and emails. I have Sky Safari Pro 6 and I am able to see the MAS events along with the Rochester astronomy club events.
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Conrad,
How did you join? So far I haven’t found a way to register that doesn’t involve having to be approved by a current club coordinator.
I see a way for a club to join the network, but not an individual.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/signup

I did this months ago and I think you have to wait for an approval and if you want a channel, you have to request one. I assume the channel is if you want to open your own broadcast.

I have not logged in for a few months so I tried it today and it still works. To post in the forums, you have to sign up and wait for an approval. I honestly have not visited the site that much but your post reminded me that I should log in again to see if it still works. I also subscribed to it on Facebook so I can see daily images that people take.
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

sandconp wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:40 pm https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/signup

I did this months ago and I think you have to wait for an approval and if you want a channel, you have to request one. I assume the channel is if you want to open your own broadcast.

I have not logged in for a few months so I tried it today and it still works. To post in the forums, you have to sign up and wait for an approval. I honestly have not visited the site that much but your post reminded me that I should log in again to see if it still works. I also subscribed to it on Facebook so I can see daily images that people take.
Do you remember who approved you?
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

I just remember registering and it took about a week to get a response and I was wondering if they forgot about me but I eventually got the approval to log in after creating a username and password. I then requested a broadcast channel (not sure if I will ever use this) and a approval to post in the forums.

They do not respond in a timely fashion.
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

sandconp wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:03 pm I just remember registering and it took about a week to get a response and I was wondering if they forgot about me but I eventually got the approval to log in after creating a username and password. I then requested a broadcast channel (not sure if I will ever use this) and a approval to post in the forums.

They do not respond in a timely fashion.
If it works the way I think it does, “they” is us. The club coordinators get a message when someone requests to join.

I apologize for not understanding exactly how this works. The NSN site interface doesn’t really help one figure it out without just trying stuff.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

Deane,

Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering why it was taking so long to get a response.
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

MaryW_MN wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 am How can a member subscribe to the Night Sky Network newsletter? I just checked out their website and don't see a newsletter signup button (but I am only on my first cup of coffee...).
OK, I think I've figured it out. Thanks to Conrad, and to Clayton who joined today and gave me an example to look at.

To join NSN yourself, just go to the site and enter your zip code. It should then show local events, including MAS ones.
Click on any MAS event and the page that comes up will have a menu bar underneath Minnesota Astronomical Society.
One of the options is Register. Fill out the form and submit it. The form includes options for email notifications, including the NSN newsletters.
All four MAS members currently assigned as coordinators will get an email with your membership request. One of us will approve it. It might not happen immediately since, obviously, one of us has to see it and have time to do the approval.

Sorry for the confusion.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
MaryW_MN

Post by MaryW_MN »

Great instructions! I did all of the steps, registered, and almost immediately received an automated email reply from Merle H. (MAS's NSN Club Coordinator) that he has received my request and will respond soon.

Thanks to everyone!
Mary A. Williams
White Bear Lake, MN

Oberwerk 9x60 LW Binoculars
Celestron 130SLT
Orion SkyQuest XT10 Dob
clayton

Post by clayton »

Somewhat related. There are forms for joining and requesting outreach. I don’t know if they are active but I think maybe they should just be some verbiage there with links to our actual Join and outreach request pages on our website?
Clayton Lindsey